Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I am not saying this is not so, but I have noticed that KEH often sells lenses for less than they go on eBay in same or even better shape. I wonder how they can buy them for more and sell them for less...

Peter.
    Gnashings
    They make it up in volume
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm

OT: Screaming

Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I was just informed that in internet circles, capital letters denote screaming
    I've often wondered why some people insist on perpetuating a rather bizarre notion, especially when there have existed terminals where caps are the only means of emphasis. I realize that I'm dating myself by speaking of these, but there is a profound difference between capitalization and verbal assault. YOUR EARS ARE NOT IN PAIN NOW, AND MY USE OF U/C SHOULD NOT REASONABLY FILL YOU WITH ANY LEGITIMATE CONCERN FOR YOUR WELL BEING. YOU WOULD NOT FIND MY SHOUTING VOICE PLEASANT, AND I THINK YOU WOULD LEAVE, SUMMONS THE POLICE, OR DEFEND YOURSELF PHYSICALLY IF I WAS GENUINELY SHOUTING IN YOUR PRESENCE. Capital letters as assault makes about as much sense as Sontag's equation of photography and rape/murder. Does this clarify?

We defend the Virgin Mary in elephant dung, and get our noses out of joint about caps lock. Gotta ponder this!

\begin{shouting}
    Some conventions are affected twaddle!
    \end{shouting}

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cao
    I've often wondered why some people insist on perpetuating a rather bizarre notion, especially when there have existed terminals where caps are the only means of emphasis. I realize that I'm dating myself by speaking of these, but there is a profound difference between capitalization and verbal assault. YOUR EARS ARE NOT IN PAIN NOW, AND MY USE OF U/C SHOULD NOT REASONABLY FILL YOU WITH ANY LEGITIMATE CONCERN FOR YOUR WELL BEING. YOU WOULD NOT FIND MY SHOUTING VOICE PLEASANT, AND I THINK YOU WOULD LEAVE, SUMMONS THE POLICE, OR DEFEND YOURSELF PHYSICALLY IF I WAS GENUINELY SHOUTING IN YOUR PRESENCE. Capital letters as assault makes about as much sense as Sontag's equation of photography and rape/murder. Does this clarify?

We defend the Virgin Mary in elephant dung, and get our noses out of joint about caps lock. Gotta ponder this!

\begin{shouting}
    Some conventions are affected twaddle!
    \end{shouting}
    Cao,

I agree with what you wrote and I quoted here 100% - in principle. I have often mentioned this myself as the ridiculous nature of it had me bouncing between amusement and loss of faith in humanity. However, as ridiculous as the "convention" is, I still didn't want the orignator of this thread to think I was "screaming" - and that is why I clarified, as my initial post was obviously taken that way. I don't want to fight an uphill battle on web-conduct - just to make sure the person it was directed at recieved it properly and as intended.

Cheers,

Peter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin