Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,824   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Determining a price for Nikkor 14mm AF

My father is selling his as new 14mm Nikkor AF lens and asked me for advise on how much he can ask for it. What is, or rather is there a general consensus or rule about how to determine the price of secondhand equipment? It's a lens that he used only a few times for interiorshots, and it looks new. No scuffs or marks and the glass is still in perfect order.
    I know that on auctionsites it's more 'what one is willing to pay' that determines the sellingprice but I am not sure he is comfortable with going international with an auction. I could probably convince him offering it here first
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhán
    I know that on auctionsites it's more 'what one is willing to pay' that determines the sellingprice ...Thanks!

Can you name anything where the price is MORE than one is willing to pay? I hate to break it to you, but that IS that market value, that is ALWAYS what determines the price. Unless you enjoy having a lens for sale and not actually selling it.
    Have a look at KEH's web-site, scan eBay (completed listings), look at places local to you - its the only thing that will give you a picture. Make sure you judge the shape of the itmes against yours, as that can affect the price greatly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH sometimes buys lenses and usually at a higher price than you can get on ebay, unless you can get a couple of idiots bidding against each other

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica
    KEH sometimes buys lenses and usually at a higher price than you can get on ebay, unless you can get a couple of idiots bidding against each other
    I am not saying this is not so, but I have noticed that KEH often sells lenses for less than they go on eBay in same or even better shape. I wonder how they can buy them for more and sell them for less...

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I am not saying this is not so, but I have noticed that KEH often sells lenses for less than they go on eBay in same or even better shape. I wonder how they can buy them for more and sell them for less...

Peter.
    They don't, I have never had KEH offer me more for any of my gear than I got on ebay, and nope, I didn't end up with two idots bidding their brains out to a point above what the parts were worth, I have purchased from KEH, but if you want to gauge a good range of what it is worth(that is what someone will pay) Ebay is the best place to check what the current market is doing, I know sometimes things go way above and sometime they go way below, but for the most part it is a good place if you look through several complete auctions and do some averaging, it will give you a very good indication..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Can you name anything where the price is MORE than one is willing to pay? I hate to break it to you, but that IS that market value, that is ALWAYS what determines the price.
    My mistake...

Dave, I'll be watching ebay and Keh, to see what prices are paid for similar lenses.
    Thanks for the helpfull comments!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I was lucky, they gave me $110 more than what the same lens , nikkor 50mm f1.2 AI, was going for on ebay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just informed that in internet circles, capital letters denote screaming - that was not my intent, I guess I should have used to italics to emphasize my points - not caps. My apologies.
    But as Dave pointed out, the fact remains: that is a good place to look for what people are willing to pay, which is market value. Contrary to what some would have you believe, it is not populated by idiots and thieves any more than any other large gathering of random people. Its pretty obvious, when you look at the prices, which results are unusual in either direction (extremely high or low), and you can easily take those out of whatever census you are conducting. One thing I wanted to add is to be especially conscious of items in original boxes, mint or unused, etc. Understandibly, they commmand a higher price, but - I find that since those are often sought by collectors (as opposed to users), the prices are out of proportion with other items that may be identical, but are not collectible. The prices are still fair and fairly consistent among other items in that condition, but the market is comprised mainly of totally different buyers, with different objectives in mind - and therefore, a different value placed on a given product. Hope that makes some sense.
    Once again, sorry about the apparent tone of my initial post.

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Peter, and apology accepted, although you were right. I know that not all on ebay is evil, but my only real experience with ebay is with buying old vintage camera's and that's somewhat of a weird market most of the time. I might have to admit I am slightly prejudiced . I'll definately keep the different buyer aspect in mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you know, eBay does have some detestible aspects that go hand in hand with dealing with a very wide range of the public. But in the end, any survey benefits from the largest possible sample, and right now, it just does not get any bigger, or more accessible than eBay. Hope you get a fair price for you lens - best of luck,

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin