Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,437   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 shutter

Shooter
    35mm

F3 shutter

I just bought an F3 hp from KEH in EXC grade. It looks pretty much new to me but doing some quick test I noticed that setting the camera to auto, stopping down the lens to 22 and leaving the lens cap on the lens, if I release the shutter, it will remain open until I change the speed setting. I thought it would remain open for 8 sec. Does this indicate a problem with the camera or is it normal? I just shot a test slide film and I’m waiting the results on Monday.

Thanks.

Rafael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds normal to me; you're putting the camera on aperture priority, the "Auto" you refer to, with a lens cap on the lens. In the A setting the camera is waiting for enough light to complete the exposure. But , with a lenscap on (not too mention f22)the meter isn't sensing enough light. Try this , start the exposure as you have been with the cap on...take the cap off and I bet the shutter will close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    all nikons that I have used in AP will give exposures of several min instead of the 8 sec listed in the specs. Happened on my EL, and does now on my FE and N2020.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe, I misunderstood what you are asking. I think I once read somewhere that the F3's shutter/ meter in A mode is capable of much longer exposures than the official spec.s suggest. In any case it's an awesome, capable , and tough as nails camera....congratulations on the purchase. I have one if you have questions or need help comparing with your purchase. Also make sure you have a good battery. When the F3's battery is dying it's obvious....the shutter doesn't immediately respond or is a little eratic. That being said, the battery seems to last forever, plus there is a mechanical back-up release. Here's a helpful site with a 'users manual' and other good info. : http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...nual/index.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for your quick replays. I was puzzled because the specs state 8sec max time. If I do the same experiment with my eos-3, the shutter would remain open for 30sec, which is the max time according to the specs. By the way during the few first seconds there is a sound like “winding”, is this normal?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    following the same A with cap test?........hold on let me check

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I never noticed that before. It's almost silent and it kind of sounds like a stream of air. In the A setting it can be heard with exposures that take seconds; open your aperture all the way and you're not likely to hear it being that the exposure is much shorter. This is pretty common with most shutters on 35 slr's...select a slow shutter speed and you'll hear the whirling of various gears.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dunno about this.

First question I have, is do you have film in the camera and is the ISO/ASA set to the right speed?

I have a roll of T-Max 100 in mine right now and tried your test with my 35-70 zoom stopped down to 22 and in Auto mode. I got an immediate firing - as you would expect when "wasting" the first two shots after loading the camera with film.

My batteries are fresh and I then checked with the cap off to ensure that I was getting speed fluctuation based on pointing at a light bulb or not.

Note: with the cap on I get a speed reading of "80" which is is not 8 seconds but 1/80.

I'll follow this thread and see what turns out.

Note: This F3 I'm using is one of three I have and was recently purchased so I'd have to check the other 2 to be sure. But they are about 2000 miles from where I am now!

Regards,
    George
    copake_ham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The following poster brought up a good point; I think the reason George is getting 1/80 with a cap on is he may have just loaded film.

Otherwise , with a lens cap on the camera in A mode the meter should read "- 8 -" on the lcd implying 8 seconds. Which happens to be the limit stated in the F3's spec.s.

Like bohica mentioned in reality the shutter/meter is capable of much longer times.
    Last edited by agGNOME; 02-18-2006 at 12:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: see next poster

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    ......with the cap on I get a speed reading of "80" which is is not 8 seconds but 1/80......
    Doesn't the F3 default to 1/80 for the first 2 or 3 "shots" after the back is closed? I think it's so the shutter will NOT take 30 sec to close if the cap is on, when you would be winding a fresh roll.
    —Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin