Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1107

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also add the Nikkormat FTN and EL, the EL uses still readily available 6 volt battery and I love the match needle metering in manual mode or you can use aperture priority. It to me is a slightly bigger, heavier, FE with MLU

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If your lucky and shooting a Nikon previously, then stay with Nikon just because of the lens interchangeability. I have the Canon FTBn, for sale btw, but it uses the old mercury batteries and one would normally have the meter recalibrated if wanting to use the in-camera meter. Lenses are great and the camera body is highly regarded as extreme temperature capable. The KX might be worth a look only because you can get some extremely good SMC lenses for it at very reasonable prices.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Technically I guess, the Nikon FM does NOT have a lock up lever. But if you pull the little self timer the mirror goes up first, then a few seconds later the shutter cycles. I always used that for total hands off pics with my FM, FM2, FE, and FE-2 cameras.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Can anyone suggest a couple of 35mm cameras with mirror lock-up for me please? I'm looking for a second hand camera with mirror lock-up, some manual settings, bulb and as not too battery reliant. I need a couple of suggestions as the choices in my area are liable to be limited. Any help appreciated.
    Sounds like an Alpa 11 (11e, 11el, or 11si) . The only thing the battery is for is the meter, and a typical battery will last for 10+ years. Mirror lockup is a slide switch on the side of the camera lens mount, and the 11 series all have nice clear portions of the viewscreen that work well for astro photography.

And you can get converters so you can mount T-mount, M42, Nikon, Lieca and Canon mount lens, besides native Alpa mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Technically I guess, the Nikon FM does NOT have a lock up lever. But if you pull the little self timer the mirror goes up first, then a few seconds later the shutter cycles. I always used that for total hands off pics with my FM, FM2, FE, and FE-2 cameras.
    I actually like this method because once the exposure it complete, the mirror returns ready for the next peek through the finder. I do most of my MLU photography with my M645 and that's a lever, and 99 times out of 100, I'll look thru the viewfinder and doh! the mirror's still up!

P.S. I do realise the self-timer method has timing issues, but they rarely are a problem.

Carol. do you have some 2nd hand shops where you can go and handle some cameras to see what fits? What camera do you use at the moment, I forget

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont forget the original F1, F1n and my favourite, the Canon EF. They all retain most capability with no batteries (other than meter and shutter speeds below 1/2 sec in the EF's case.) Lovely cameras all, built like tanks. The EF was unique among early Canon gear by the virtue of havng a Copal Square shutter and x synch of 1/125th.

If you want more modern cameras but are on a budget - Canon Elan II has a mirror pre-release (custom function 5 if I recall from my friend's cameras). You would have to go much older or into the single digit F's to get the feature with Nikon gear - all wonderful cameras, but not inexpensive. The Elan 7 has the same feature and is very much a development of the II - a little newer, a little more expensive used. The Elan II is the bargain among AF gear.

Just thought I'd add to the already extensive list,

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the older Practica's do not have an auto return mirror. If you pushed the shutter release partway down the mirror would go up but the shutter would not trip. Then by pushing the shutter release all the way down the shutter would trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't believe no has mentioned the Nikon F or F2 yet.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    Can't believe no has mentioned the Nikon F or F2 yet.
    Post number 4
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know that little voice in your head that tells you to wait and be sensible. Well I ignored it and rang up and ordered a s/hand Nikkormat FTN today. It has MLU and DOF preview which I've never had and comes with a Micro lens which has long been on my wish list.

Darn it if I'd come back here first I would have read Bohica's post and checked what kind of batteries it uses. Mercury. Is this going to be a huge problem?

Mycroft - I note your t-mount reference. Yes I want to put it on a telescope as well hence the need for MLU for stability. Do you take astro-pics?

Nige - Unfortunately the only access I have to s/hand gear is by 'phone from a couple of shops in Adelaide. It's all rather hit and miss for me. I have a couple of Ricoh's which are fine. Just got the wants at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out with suggestions. Much appreciated.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin