Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,252   Online: 868

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    You know that little voice in your head that tells you to wait and be sensible. Well I ignored it and rang up and ordered a s/hand Nikkormat FTN today. It has MLU and DOF preview which I've never had and comes with a Micro lens which has long been on my wish list.

Darn it if I'd come back here first I would have read Bohica's post and checked what kind of batteries it uses. Mercury. Is this going to be a huge problem?

Mycroft - I note your t-mount reference. Yes I want to put it on a telescope as well hence the need for MLU for stability. Do you take astro-pics?

Nige - Unfortunately the only access I have to s/hand gear is by 'phone from a couple of shops in Adelaide. It's all rather hit and miss for me. I have a couple of Ricoh's which are fine. Just got the wants at the moment.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out with suggestions. Much appreciated.
    Carol,

My 30 year old Nikkormat EL still produces excellent work. I use a 55 Micro Nikkor as often as I can, more as a "normal" lens rather than a macro tool. But I do as often as possible mount the camera on a tripod, lock the mirror up, use the self timer and release the shutter with a shutter release cable. The images made with this method can easily be enlarged to 16x20. The film is your choice.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Darn it if I'd come back here first I would have read Bohica's post and checked what kind of batteries it uses. Mercury. Is this going to be a huge problem?
    I got a Wein Air Cell (or two) for my Yashicamat and Gossen Luna Pro meter. It works great with my meters and also worked great with my Olympus OM-1 before I sold it. No meter adjustment necessary. The battery is a zinc air type and has a fairly short life, but I find that they last fairly long in a camera or meter, at least 6 months or a year. It consists of a small battery and a spacing ring to make it the right size.

I have found that there is a very common zinc air hearing aid battery (I think it is a 675) that you should be able to find at a local drug store that forms the middle of the battery. All you have to do when the battery dies is push the battery out of the spacer ring and replace it with the cheap hearing aid battery. Pull off the seal and wait a few minutes and you are ready to go. This means that you are investing $5 - 6 for the initial battery and about $1 each for replacements. Also, they are probably available locally if you have any kind of a drug store there.

Good luck!

Paul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    Can't believe no has mentioned the Nikon F or F2 yet.
    I've used Nikon F and Nikkormats for 39 years in spite of their funky MLU. The Nikkormat MLU switch is difficult to operate, and the Nikon F MLU system can waste a frame. Otherwise, they are quite servicable cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    I've used Nikon F and Nikkormats for 39 years in spite of their funky MLU. The Nikkormat MLU switch is difficult to operate, and the Nikon F MLU system can waste a frame. Otherwise, they are quite servicable cameras.
    Funny I don't find the MLU on my FT3 difficult to operate. Press switch down to lock up and push up to unlock. Only thing is you may have to change shutter speed to get to operate it.
    Actually it has both MLU and Mirror Pre Release (MPR).
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a couple of cheap Chinon CS screwmount SLRs.

The mirror locks up on them when the self-timer is activated. I find that very useful for macro shots or for landscape stuff where I don't need to worry about the timing of the shot.

If I put the camera on a tripod, use the self-timer and a cable-release to trigger it I can get very stable, very sharp pictures and there are some pretty decent screwmount lenses around.

It's a very old system, but cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mercury battery issue

See www.smallbattery.company.org.uk and the MR-9 adapter for another elegant solution to the mecury battery problem. I bought one MR-9 adapter and use it whatever camera I am using (i.e. I move it from camera to camera). It is more expensive than the wein cells but once purchased it uses cheap batteries that are easily available and last far longer than the wein cells.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After reading the advice re battery replacement I feel much better and feel sure I will be able to employ at least one of the suggestions above. I won't get my camera until at least Monday as Aust. Post moves in slow and mysterious ways. I can't wait to see DOF preview.

Thank you all very much for the advice. Living a bit out of the way as I do, the people on Apug are my major source of photographic info and you have never let me down.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too use an OM-1n. The battery issue is no problem. I find setting the ISO to overexpose by 1/3 of a stop works pretty well.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    I too use an OM-1n. The battery issue is no problem. I find setting the ISO to overexpose by 1/3 of a stop works pretty well.
    David.
    Until I had Camtech overhaul my OM-1, that's exactly what I did. Part of the price of a Camtech CLA is converting the metering system to use commonly available alkaline batteries. I've run a few rolls of film through mine since then and they've been properly exposed without any special adjustment on my part.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    Until I had Camtech overhaul my OM-1, that's exactly what I did. Part of the price of a Camtech CLA is converting the metering system to use commonly available alkaline batteries. I've run a few rolls of film through mine since then and they've been properly exposed without any special adjustment on my part.

Chris
    It's true that John's conversion allows use of more commonly available batteries, but for the best results you should still use SILVER cells instead of alkaline. They last a lot longer and aren't as prone to voltage dropoff until the very end of their service life. The Energizer 357 (available at a good price from www.sr44.com, no affiliation) is what I now use in all my OM's. I believe this is also the battery that John now provides with his Camtech overhauls.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin