Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,728   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

35mm with mirror lock-up

Can anyone suggest a couple of 35mm cameras with mirror lock-up for me please? I'm looking for a second hand camera with mirror lock-up, some manual settings, bulb and as not too battery reliant. I need a couple of suggestions as the choices in my area are liable to be limited. Any help appreciated.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon FTb will fit the bill nicely. It has all the features you describe. The FD lenses are great and I picked up an FTb and 50mm lens for £50 last year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Can anyone suggest a couple of 35mm cameras with mirror lock-up for me please? I'm looking for a second hand camera with mirror lock-up, some manual settings, bulb and as not too battery reliant. I need a couple of suggestions as the choices in my area are liable to be limited. Any help appreciated.
    Minolta SRT. Some have lock-up and some don't, so don't buy sight unseen. But a rock of a camera, available, all works sans battery (except meter) and Rokkor glass also readily available for a modest investment.

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikkormat FT3.
    Fully manual and mechanical
    The F series Where F and F2(IIRC) are mechanical and F3 eletronic but mf. F4 and F5 are autofocus
    This site offers more info on Nikon and some Canon mf cameras

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm

Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Pentax KX.
    I have had two for twenty years. Batteries only power the open aperture metering, so even if they die (mine usually last longer than the average Conservative party leader does) the full shutter speed range of 1 sec to 1/1000 is still available. There is also no problem with servicing or spares and some wonderful glass available at affordable prices.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Also thanks to Soren for the link. They all sound good for what I want to do, now I just have to find one of them available in my area. Many thanks.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus OM-1. B-1000, MLU, battery only used for meter. You can frequently find decent ones on ebay with 50mm lens for less than US$100. I've been using one for 5 years now. I had it CLA'd by Camtech last year when it started to show it's age a bit.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the recommendation for the Olympus OM-1n. I think it's absolutely the best, and not just because I have 3 of them. They're nearly as small and quiet as a Leica, but with all the benefits of an SLR, and the Zuiko glass is tack-sharp. If you want one with a 50mm lens, try for the Zuiko 50mm/f1.4, preferably with a serial number higher than 1,2xx,xxx. Don't sweat the serial # thing too much, though, they're all pretty sharp. The big thing when choosing one is to make sure the viewfinder has no big blotches in it and, once you have it, to send it to Camtech or Photosphere for a CLA/prism foam removal if that hasn't been done yet. I can vouch for John H.'s work at Camtech. The overhaul will probably cost as much as you paid for the camera, but it's worth it. After he gets done with it, your camera will have an accurate meter, will use common SR-44 batteries and will have been completely gone through. As I said, not cheap, but worth every penny as your OM-1n will be ready to reliably serve you for many years.

Bruce

Images
    Good Morning, Carol,

Ditto to the favorable comments on the Olympus OM-1.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the OM-1.
    There are 4 versions:
    1) the original M-1, which was pulled from the market when Leica made noises about the name. It is incredibly rare, sought by collectors, and way too expensive;
    2) the original OM-1, which offered as an option the ability to be adapted for motor drive. Apparently, many owners opted to have the adaptation done, so shortly thereafter ...
    2) the OM-1 MD, which included the motor drive adaptation, and finally
    4) the OM-1n, which added a flash ready light indication in the viewfinder (with Olympus flashes) plus some other small refinements.

Some things to note:

1) all models took replaceable accessory hot shoe fittings (they have PC sockets as well). There are different models of the fitting, and they are not interchangeable. They tend to crack, if they are over-tightened, and there are therefor a lot of cracked olympus hot shoe fittings out there. The "shoe 4" model was the last, and was also used by the OM-2n. It can be hard to find in uncracked condition. I have three of them, they are all cracked, but they all work.

2) all models were designed to use the 1.35v mercury 625 batteries that you cannot get anymore (because of the mercury). There are a number of ways to deal with the battery situation - I have the type of adapters that Camtech sells in both my cameras, which cost a few dollars, but pay for themselves. You don't need the batteries, but it would seem a shame not to have the OM-1's meter available, because it works well;

3) the OM-1 is truly a system camera - you can pick up used a huge variety of accessories.

More information throughout the web, but particularly at: OM info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin