Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,034   Online: 792

View Poll Results: If you are going to shoot a subject that you know you will want to make larger prints

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always use a tripod

49 53.26%
  • Depending on speed

32 34.78%
  • Not often

11 11.96%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I can I use a tripod.
    When I can't use a tripod I hand hold.
    Simple.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

pmu

Shooter
    35mm
    Handheld 99% of the time. I shoot with M2, mainly with 35/2 lens @ f2-f4, ISO800-1600 and shutter speed usually 1/8 - 1/30.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a tripod. I shoot people on the street scenes and a tripod doesn´t work there, I'd be noticed. But I'm thinking of buying a tripod, because I want to try some portraits (before I have to get a Minolta wireless flash) and because I want something to put a bird telescope on. On the street, I guide myself by the focal distance=1/shutter speed rule, and when needed, I hold the camera against a wall or anything close by. It works.
    I am not afraid of grain.
    http://fotodura.pt.to

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    unless i am using flash (wireless or fill); studio lights and have option for untethered setup (useful with kids) or shooting sports (although need monopod with long lenses), i like to use a tripod.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just when to use a tripod. Well, when I have it with me and am not anticipating anything which I need to be quick on the clutch with. I use a tripod for all of my wedding shots before the reception and almost never once I get there. If I am walking through the woods to a specific landscape destination, I generally carry my camera on the tripod with the legs extended so I can click in seconds if I have to. If just out for a walk, I might have my MONOPOD with me as a walking stick and shoot hand held, unless I see something that I want to attach my Minolta XG-M to the monopod. It all depends. About half and half here.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my 35mm for fast subjects using fast film, tripod not req'd. I carry it when I don't want to lug around the weight of the MF camera and gear.
    Always (well 99%) use a tripod with the MF camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I rarely shoot with a tripod, but that's because I primarily do street photography.

When I have the option, I carry my 'pod, but that doesn't occur often.

Images
    If I'm going to set up a tripod, I might as well use something bigger than 35mm, unless that's all I've got. With an image stabablized lens one can hold the camera steady enough for a long time.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm rather new to photography and currently shoot 35mm exclusively. 35mm photo. technology is made for speed and that's my approach with it. Fast set ups, though with all the framing precision that may be desirable for any size format, tripod or no. Handheld, psyched, get in, get out, VR, IS, crouch, lean, work out of one small bag, 1600 iso, fast lenses, as invisible as possible. As I get more into some of my other photographic interests, urban/industrial landscapes and portraiture, my hefty tripod will get it's share of use (and my interest in MF and the square will further come to the fore). My print size at this point does not exceed 8xN, and really 5x7 and the internet are my current mainstay.

Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Years ago I assembled a portfolio when applying for a photographic job. After culling thousands of slides down to a few hundred, I checked them for sharpness under a 50X microscope. Many slides that had always appeared quite sharp when projected showed camera movement. Since then I use a tripod most of the time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin