Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,388   Online: 825

View Poll Results: If you are going to shoot a subject that you know you will want to make larger prints

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always use a tripod

49 53.26%
  • Depending on speed

32 34.78%
  • Not often

11 11.96%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

tripod or hand hold?

Ok, those of you that shoot 35mm in particular. If you are going to shoot a subject that you know you will want to make larger prints from, will you always use a tripod, sometimes use one depending on the speed you shoot at, or no generally I hand hold. If you would please indicate what the speed is you consider too slow to hand hold for absolute tack sharp enlargements.

I thought a pole might enlighten us as to the practices of many, and perhaps change a few of us and our techniques.
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I never shoot handheld. It makes no sense for landscapes.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well if I didn't drink so much,,,,opps forgot I don't drink, Well If I didn't breathe so heavily,,,, opps not that young and breathless anymore. Well If this arthritis would quit making my hands shake,,,, yep thats the one,,,,I could hand hold a 35 mm for enlargements.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter,
    I use a 35mm both ways, if I know I might want to make an enlargement I usuall opt for the tripod. Hand held with higher shutter speeds will work very well, but my favorite device for 35mm is a monopod. I used to carry a length of sash chain with a 1/4 in 20 thread thing attached, screw it into the tripod socket, then stand on the dangling chain while lifting up and pulling the chain tought. it works much better than just hand holding. Works for me!

Charlie...............................

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use a tripod much of the time. Bracing the camera against solid objects is sometimes more convenient. I've ruined many shots by overestimating an ability to do without some kind of support.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not depending on speed but depending on the situation

Whenever it's feasable I use a tripod, no matter the film speed. In fact, whenever it is feasable for these situations where I know I'll use a tripod, I shoot the slowest film I have - currently TMax 100 at EI 50.

But I shoot in a lot of situations where tripods are out of the question. Low light concerts etc and street photography. Then getting the shot is much more important. I've handheld 1/4 of a second at f1.4 shooting on the street, making do with whatever support I could get for my elbows.

First priority is getting the shot. Second priority is getting the best possible quality. Lazyness ought to be the last priority, although sometimes it isn't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To me it depends on the subject and the shooting situation. If the subject is static, I tend to use a tripod and the largest camera that is practical. If the situation does not permit a tripod either for pragmatic or legal reasons, then I shoot handheld and use the largest camera that is practical.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with David on this one. I use the biggest camera possible and a tripod if it is suitable for what I am shooting.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    so far i think this is interesting. I would have assumed more shot hand held. My recent background has been 4x5. I of course always use a tripod. As i re-enter the 35mm arena i am inclined to want to shoot freehand. I know however that i want tack sharp results so i use a tripod.

Interesting all the same

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    35mm
    For a static subject anything less than 1/1000th sec will show increasing loss as the shutter speed is lowered. For myself the only time not to use a tripod is when not using one improves the photo...such as active children at play. The tripod should be the most stable one you can afford and still carry a hundred feet.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin