Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,041   Online: 1229

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Venerable Nikomat EL died

Well, it finally had to happen.

My venerable Nikomat EL, nearly 30 years old now, died. The meter does not meter, but everything else works just fine. If I use my Sekonic meter and set the Nikomat manually, the exposures are just fine.

So, do I have to fall back to manual mode or can I somehow get the metering system repaired? Is it worth it to get it repaired? Am I a sentimental fool for still using it? Etc...

Opinions solicited.

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, I have an old F2 that I plan on having fixed someday. I keep holding onto it - just too sentimental. My F3 on the other is hand, is worth nothing more than a doorstop - it was a piece of junk the day I bought it new, and still is (hasn't worked for years).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE

I don't know.... but I still drive my 76 Volvo.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't how true it is, my local Camera repair guy told me that he can get after market circuit boards from Korea for all Nikons. He did get a board and fixed by FG.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Is it worth it to get it repaired?"

Don't know. But if I remember, the EL had an electronic shutter. Therefore, it's probably not something simple like a bad contact or wire to the battery. I'd be concerned about the longevity of the other circuitry even if the meter is repaired.

Then my rule of thumb is how much would I be willing to invest in a working version of the same camera.

"Am I a sentimental fool for still using it?"

You may be a sentimental fool but not for using a well-made, highly functional piece of equipment.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Nikkormat EL died while fairly new, while my Nikkormats are still going strong. The EL is much more difficult (IMHO) than the Nikkormats to repair. Consider replacing the EL with the simple and rugged Nikkormat. You'll eventually get used to the funky shutter control and MLU.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin