Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,340   Online: 745

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon Eos Pro Cameras and Lenses - Weather/Dustproofing

Hi,

Finding myself in another exotic part of the world (Afghanistan...) without any camera kit with me, I am contemplating buying some Canon kit and getting it mailed here. I actually have an Eos 3 and Eos 1n HS with consumer lenses but that is all in storage thousands of miles away and well beyond reach!

I am considering a used Eos 3 or Eos 1n. I reckon the 1V is a bit too steep for me now. It is very dusty here in the summer which is now approaching and I am wondering how effective the environmental seals are on the Pro bodies/lenses vs the unsealed ones (Eos 3 etc)? Neve having used my Eos 3 in a dusty environment I cannot tell how well they keep the dust out and whether I really need a 'sealed camera'. As regards lenses, I have committed to a 70-200 f4L - sharp and small and a Sigma 24-60 2.8 EX (unsealed.....had not thought of the weather when I ordered this....). I thought all L series lenses were sealed but saw a comment on the web from someone emphatically stating that this lens is NOT sealed -Any comments.

Anyone used Canon pro kit in dusty climates or had issues with dust in non sealed Canon cameras and lenses?....comments???

I got out here not expecting to take ANY images but have found that opportunities abound. I will shoot d!g!t@l too, cough, splutter, but MUST have a film body for crunchy mono shots! Just dont know whether to go for a 3 or an older Eos 1n, which I will prob sell when I get home.

It might be a hell hole, but it is a photographic paradise, er kind of!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow what a dilemma Tom
    to actually take photos or to boast that you have knowledge of high end equipment
    get real, buy any old camera and burn film until it falls apart

Shooter
    127 Format
    Lighten up Ray... and check the prices of Eos3/1N - they're so cheap, that if I was looking for a "new" 35mm body I wouldn't bother with anything less. 1N's are reglarly going for £200-£250 on "that site" in the UK (US will be less), occasionally as low as £150 (just checking the last couple of weeks activity).

£200 is hardly high end showing off teritory.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom,

I'm a photojournalist and work for a daily paper. Before we went digital I used a couple of Eos 1ns. I don't use them on the job anymore but I use them a lot for my personal shooting. If I had my druthers I'd still be using them at work. I love them.

The newer Eos lenses all have rubber dust seals and I had a Canon tech guy put a clear plastic seal over the buttons on the top of the camera. Since then they've been through a lot and have never complained.

That being said, I've never shot in Afganistan and have no real knowledge of what your conditions are. But before we all went digital those Eos 1ns went all over the world including the middle east and the jungles. Since they're such a bargain right now I'd say go for it.

I'm thinking about buying another couple of them to stock up for the day mine bite the, um, you know... dust.

Stay safe over there. Please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but i don't agree
    there are many other great cameras
    my choice is Canon FD
    my old AE1 Program, bought new in 1982, has never given trouble, though it's been everywhere and has always been in constant use till now
    may be new cameras need extra seals
    and consider the physical size of newer cameras, many are bricks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ray,

Er very helpful. If you had not noticed I was asking other for advice which should make it clear that I am not in a position to boast about my knowledge of high end kit. The dilema is VERY simple and as pointed out used 1ns are very cheap, relatively....even to a spangly digi consumer P&S.

Here are my reasons behind asking the question, which it appears you are entirely ignorant of:

Instead of trashing a used camera I can use it and sell it when I leave as I have other bodies in storage. I also do not wish to buy into another system as I already own Eos Kit and am familiar with its use(roger so far????). I also do not want manual/mechanical kit as I dont want to spend too much time fiddling about with focus for reasons which should be obvious. Therefore we are still locked onto EOS, right? The whole reason behind the question is:

a. I am not a spoilt idiot but earn my cash doing jobs many would not relish. I really,really earn it. I therefore respect hard earned kit and cannot bring myself to thrash and trash.

b. I do not like the thought developing the negs and finding out the thing has gone on the blink and all my exposures are screwed up (shutter error perhaps or screwed spacing, maybe). Kinda hard to replace 6 months and a few hundred rolls dont you think...and every single one will be deved afterwards apart from perhaps the odd test roll back to the US at the start? Mail is not that hot here and V slow...but I am sure you know all about Afghanistan. Whole point here is that if I get something appropriate and look after it like an adult....and buy at the right price, it should not cost me much as I can resell and recoup. I will not be able to resell a knackered bit of junk nor enjoy negs that 'did not come out'. I am also merely curious about the real merit of these 'weather seals'. You never know others might beneft from useful answers to this searchable forum question as I attemt to establish whats what. You are also extremely unlikely to be aware that computers here used not to be sold with warranties as so few lasted a year (only a fool leaves a laptop out even indoors, during summer - it WILL kill it). I know many whose laptops packed up on prior tours here. It was usually the disk/CD/Hard drives that packed in from the dust and yes Afghanistan is uniquely bad in this regard. It is affectionately known as 'poo' dust. My camera will be bagged but there is a lot of airbone dust, esp on the roads and so I will not be able to avoid it when actually using the camera. I am not on a cosey little holiday where I can drop in to buy a replacement if it goes on the blink. I value my images esp when taking them represents increased risk to myself.

Hope this helps. BTW I do take pics. You wil find some in my gallery. Hope you like them and poss even enjoy some of my as yet untaken mono work from here if I am able to post them at a later date. I am really hoping to do some good portraits and street stuff this time...but still need an eos film body!

Troy and Ian, thanks.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom,

Unfortunately the Canon 70-200 f4L is NOT weather sealed. Canon saves that wonderful feature for the 2.8 and 2.8 IS versions of the lens. Even then make sure that you have a UV filter on the lens.

The weather sealing on the 1n is more robust than the EOS 3 but the 3 can still take almost anything you can throw at it. Also the autofocus system on the 3 is more advanced than the 1n and the camera uses less power... Not sure if that is a consideration to you.

Both cameras are relatively loud so be careful where/when you take pics. ;-)

Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Canon EOS-1 and an older Canon Elan. I have taken them to South America for 6 months, Eastern and Southern Africa for 6 months, New Zealand for 8 months. The EOS-1 is the winner for dust. Can't speak to your lens choices but you probably get what you pay for. I think a Tundra case to store the gear in transit and between uses is a good idea.
    Jerold Harter MD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin