Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,494   Online: 874

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leica Glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    BTW, the differences we're discussing aren't very subtle, at all. They are easily discernable in a 5x7 print.

Take care,
    Tom
    Tom,

I would have to disagree a bit, I can almost bet you money, that at 5x7 you would have a hard time seeing much, if any difference between the top glass from the various manufactures, I know I was convinced many times when I worked in camera stores, that there just is not that much difference..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    There are many contributing factors that make up a good photograph.

Wayne's question was specifically about a technical, rather than compositional, aspect of photography. I'm sure Wayne and I and everyone else understand the "seeing" part as the most important requirement. I'm also sure that the people contributing to this thread actually spend lots of time "utilising the available equipment".

BTW, the differences we're discussing aren't very subtle, at all. They are easily discernable in a 5x7 print.

Take care,
    Tom
    Yes this is a technical question (thank you Tom) and not a hypothetical one as to whether a person can shoot a good composition. But Ray's response does bring to mind an old quote I heard apparently by Ansel Adams who said something along the line of, your not worth your salt if you haven't shot 10,000 bad images(?). I'm sure he appreciated good equipment, good technique and perseverance.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok I normally don't get involved with the Leica arguements, but I have a M6 with a summicron 50mm, 21mm, and 90mm. I also have a Nikon F100 with some top primes too. I can say here that with out a doubt my Leica images are almost always technically superior, at 6x9 or above. The Leica glass and the Leica camera is just a great tool that is easy to use and makes one think about the photograph before clicking the shutter.

My f100 is used for situations where I don't want to or have time to think, and flash or color work. The leica IS an available light camera, it can be used in the studio but I have always preferred an SLR in the studio. It is simply the best 35mm black and white tool to use. Quiet, excellant optics, easy to focus, and easy to hand hold.

It has some draw backs too, the viewfinder, while highly corrected and easy to focus in very low light, is not 100% accurate. That is to say what you see in the frame lines is not exactly what you get on the film. Its usually a bit wider. For instance the 90mm frame lines are accurate up close but at normal distances the 75mm frame lines are closer to what is acually captured on film. This is something to think about when choosing a camera. You need to decide what is your intended use.

I would not give up my Leica ever! I realize the F100 and my Nikon primes and zooms are MUCH more versatile, but when I look back through my prints, most of my best work has been done with my Leica, I simply have a greater success rate with it than with any of my other 35mm cameras.

I too thought the Leica "glow" talk was a bunch of crap and for the most part it is, I still have no glow but what I do have is a perfect little camera that can capture most everything that I would want it to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Having again read an article on the attributes of Leica glass, this time in their SLR offerings, can anyone here comment on enlargements from Leica glass in the larger sizes such as 11x14 and the qualities that might set Leica apart from it's competition. Or maybe it's just all hype?
    Leica glass is excellent (a concession as I shoot a Contax IIIa). Great cameras for low light work. But I shoot medium format whenever I can as the tonality on larger prints is much better. My Bronica RF645 isn't much larger than a Leica and the larger neg is an huge advantage. The only drawback is slower lenses - I need to use faster film in low light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    can anyone here comment on enlargements from Leica glass in the larger sizes such as 11x14 and
    You talk about enlargements and so I assume you mean "sharpness" or resolving lpmm. At this point Leica lenses are surely NOT better then some other 35mm top products like Zeiss, Voigtländer or Nikon for example, some of them are rather sharper in a direct comparison.

What makes the Leica lenses unique is the special "footprint" or look which is different tho for the several lens generations and for slow or fast lenses.
    A modern 1,4 M- Lux does not differ THAT much from a Zeiss or CV 1,5 Nokton,
    A 2/50 or 2/35 Cron does differ clearly . Though for certain purposes this Leica look is very nice (people) I never found it worth a price 3 or 5 time higher .

If you want to make enlargemenst take a MF camera, it blows away even the very best 35mm lenses like a handful of dust :-)

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The photograhper at my brother's wedding used exclusively Leica M7/M6 with Leica glass. Results were good, but I think my Zuiko lenses or even my Kiev will perform similarly. Butt the grain and resolution were not up to MF level. No comparison what so ever!! I think it is not worth the investement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is never ending discussion...
    I have switched from nikon (FM2,F3..with some of the best lenses available) to Leica. Can I tell the difference? Definitely yes. Especially in low light situations (black man in the mine and albino on the snow..) But what makes me fascinated is some indefinable gravy look of pictures taken with Leica. Illusion or reality? I really do not know but I’m willing to pay extra bucks for it.

There is only one camera for street photography which makes even more fascinated is Hasselblad SWC!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    g'day
    this all very interesting, but what does it benefit to have the 'best' if the photographer cannot 'see' or compose an interesting image
    these differences are so subtle it may be more advantageous to actually go and take images by utilising the available equipment to 'its' best rather than talk up its assets
    Well, if you don't have to worry about lens flare when shooting into light, and light falloff on edges of frame, etc... then it is easier to fully concentrate on "seeing". That is benefit of having "the best"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Flare

My Summicron 50mm latest ver. flares in direct sunlight badly without a shade, the lenses are incredible but not perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BBonte
    I think my Zuiko lenses or even my Kiev will perform similarly.
    There is a story that when Olympus released their 180mm f2.0 and their 100mmf2.0 they were so much better than their equivalent Leica equivalents that Leitz immediately redesigned their lenses!

Lachlan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin