Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,458   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    If the mount is threaded It is most likely a 42mm thread. In this case they will fit Practika and older..non bayonet.. Pentax cameras. There are adapters made to allow 42mm thread lens to fit a wide variety of cameras.
    Feeling a bit confused now...they don't look threaded, are a bayonet type (quite similar to my Nikon F mounts, but not quite...).
    Will have to post a photo...

Sounds like these could be good lenses so I'd really like to be able to use them on the Nikon.

p.s. the lens info on both starts with 'P'. e.g. P 1:2.8 f=135mm MC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adapting to Nikon is difficult, it has a short registration distance. Few lenses will focus to infinity besides Nikkors... check them before you go to any bother !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you will find it far less expensive to pick up a body to fit the lenses, than it will be to adapt the lenses to your Nikon.

Dave

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I think you will find it far less expensive to pick up a body to fit the lenses, than it will be to adapt the lenses to your Nikon.

Dave
    Agreed. Absolutely.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Stargazer,

The short answer: these two lenses are of Hugo Meyer design and manufacture and was a proportion of similar lenses marked as Carl Zeiss Jena, made after 1985, in Praktica B-mount.

The long answer: Pentacon, the company who manufactured Praktica cameras, primarily used two lens suppliers: Hugo Meyer of Gorlitz, and Carl Zeiss of Jena. Hugo Meyer was acquired by Pentacon in the late 1960s so its lenses were marked "Pentacon" instead of "Meyer" a few years afterwards.

In 1985, Carl Zeiss acquired pretty much all the optical and photographic equipment manufacturers in the DDR, including Pentacon, thus also acquiring the rights to put its name on their products. A limited quantity of Praktica cameras were sold under the name of "Jenaflex", and a proportion of lenses originally bearing the name of Pentacon were also re-badged "Carl Zeiss Jena", but with a "P" added to signify its Pentacon origin. If they are bayonet mounts similar to the Pentax K, but with three closely-spaced electrical contacts, then they are indeed for the Praktica B-series cameras.

This, of course, is to assume that you can find markings on the lenses which signify its country of origin as DDR; there is also the British wild card:

The British agent for Carl Zeiss Jena (also Pentacon) owned the rights to the name in the UK, so it was free to offer products under that name even if they had nothing to do with Carl Zeiss in terms of design and manufacture. Among such products were two series of Sigma-sourced lenses bearing the Carl Zeiss Jena name, and made to fit a number of different cameras. I do not think these "British" Zeiss lenses included a 135/2.8 though, but if they bear the markings as made in Japan, then these would be examples of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for the advice and info, especially Seele for the comprehensive post.

There's no indication of where the lenses were made, so am not completely sure of their origin (unless this rules out the 'British' lenses).

It looks easier, then, to find a body...

My question is : how would you rate such a system - is it worth it, how does it compare with my Nikon Fm2 + Nikon lens.

I only have a Nikkor 50mm at the moment, but as it happens am on the point of purchasing an 85mm. - am deciding which to go for - so it may or may not make sense to have the two systems. Bearing in mind also that I have almost exclusively been using a Mamiya RZ for the past couple of years but have recently returned to appreciating and using the Nikon, but don't feel the need to go too much overboard with 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    MC should be for "multicoated," which would make these East German Zeiss lenses of relatively recent vintage. If you can post an image of the mount, I'm sure someone here can help you identify it. If the mount is something like M42, then you can easily adapt it for Nikon. If it's not, it might be easier to find a Praktika body to use them on (not sure offhand what mount they use--Exacta?).
    David, your answer surprised me. It not like you to be offhand or mistaken.

The Nikon F register (flange-to-film distance) is greater than nearly all other, if not all other, 35 mm SLRs' registers. This means a lens in any other SLR mount can't focus to infinity when held to the front of a Nikon body.

Praktica has its own mount. The other major user of the Exakta mount was Topcon.

df cardwell, you got it backwards. One of the great attractions of the Alpa SLR system, not to be confused with the current MF Alpas, is its extremely short register, which allows lenses from most other SLR systems to be used on Alpas.

The best list of registers I've found so far is here: http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mounts.htm If there's a better one available, will someone please post a link to it?
    Last edited by Dan Fromm; 02-27-2006 at 06:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Thank you all for the advice and info, especially Seele for the comprehensive post.

There's no indication of where the lenses were made, so am not completely sure of their origin (unless this rules out the 'British' lenses).

It looks easier, then, to find a body...

My question is : how would you rate such a system - is it worth it, how does it compare with my Nikon Fm2 + Nikon lens.

I only have a Nikkor 50mm at the moment, but as it happens am on the point of purchasing an 85mm. - am deciding which to go for - so it may or may not make sense to have the two systems. Bearing in mind also that I have almost exclusively been using a Mamiya RZ for the past couple of years but have recently returned to appreciating and using the Nikon, but don't feel the need to go too much overboard with 35mm.
    On the whole, your life will be simpler if you invest in just one 35 mm SLR system. Which one doesn't matter much, as long as you don't settle on something that has unreliable bodies, few lenses, really hard-to-find support, and doesn't accept much in the way of wide angle lenses. ZI bayonet mount Icarex, for example.

Since you have a perfectly find Nikon body, why not stick with Nikon? I'm prejudiced -- I have an FM2n -- but east bloc 35 mm SLRs seem a cut below the FM2 and east bloc lenses are no better than Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm

Since you have a perfectly find Nikon body, why not stick with Nikon? I'm prejudiced -- I have an FM2n -- but east bloc 35 mm SLRs seem a cut below the FM2 and east bloc lenses are no better than Nikkors.
    To be completely accurate, mine's an FM2n aswell.

Do you have an 85mm Nikon lens? If so, I wonder which one.
    I'm wondering whether it's worth the increase expense of getting a 9-element lens. I'm not sure about this, as bokeh isn't generally a problem. Sorry, this is a bit of an aside, but isn't really as for me it's all part of the question of what to spend the money on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 85mm lens the AFD 1,4 version.
    Bj÷rn R÷rslett has revieved the nikors on his site

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Regards S°ren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin