Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,847   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Carl Zeiss lenses

I have just been given two Carl Zeiss lenses. Apart from being very dusty, they look O.K. Both are called Carl Zeiss Jena, one is f.2.8/ 28mm the other is f2.8/135mm. The lenses also have 'MC' on them - don't know what that means.

Does anyone know anything about these lenses?. The only 35mm camera I have is a Nikon FM2 - sorry if this is a basic question, but is there any way I could or should use them with this camera? They're obviously not quite the same, but is it possible to get an adaptor ring? (doesn't matter if the metering doesn't work)...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    MC should be for "multicoated," which would make these East German Zeiss lenses of relatively recent vintage. If you can post an image of the mount, I'm sure someone here can help you identify it. If the mount is something like M42, then you can easily adapt it for Nikon. If it's not, it might be easier to find a Praktika body to use them on (not sure offhand what mount they use--Exacta?).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    My first "real" camera, an Exacta, had a Zeiss Jena 50mm on it. It was a wonderful sharp, contrasty lens that started me on a long (and expensive) love affair with German glass.
    I believe that Jena was the East German side of the company after WWII but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will correct me.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll try to post up a photo of the mount.

Sounds like they're worth doing something with....Any idea how they would compare quality-wise with Nikkor lenses? Firstly if it's possible to use them with my Nikon body, and secondly e.g. with a Praktica body?

Flotsam, I think you're right about the 'Jena' bit, - it would have been the E.German side, as I believe they were originally aquired after the fall of the Wall.

Many thanks for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    My first "real" camera, an Exacta, had a Zeiss Jena 50mm on it. It was a wonderful sharp, contrasty lens that started me on a long (and expensive) love affair with German glass.
    I believe that Jena was the East German side of the company after WWII but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will correct me.
    You are right. Those are East German produced in Jena

Shooter
    35mm
    If the mount is threaded It is most likely a 42mm thread. In this case they will fit Practika and older..non bayonet.. Pentax cameras. There are adapters made to allow 42mm thread lens to fit a wide variety of cameras.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    MC should be for "multicoated," which would make these East German Zeiss lenses of relatively recent vintage. If you can post an image of the mount, I'm sure someone here can help you identify it. If the mount is something like M42, then you can easily adapt it for Nikon. If it's not, it might be easier to find a Praktika body to use them on (not sure offhand what mount they use--Exacta?).
    Yes, Zeiss Jena (East Germany) made these lenses in mounts for several different cameras, including M42 screw mount ( the so-called Pentax screw mount).
    M42 thread Adapters are available for most SLR cameras.

I believe that the f.2.8/ 28mm and the f2.8/135mm lenses were designs acquired from Meyer Optic when Zeiss Jena absorbed that company.

I have several Zeiss Jena lenses in the M42 screw mount including:
    1. 20mm f4 Flektagon (single coated)
    2. 20mm f2.8 Flektagon (Multi-Coated)
    3. 35mm f2.4 Flektagon (Multi-Coated)
    4. 135mm f4 Sonnar (single coated)
    5. 50mm f1.8 Pancolar (Multi-Coated)

All of theses lenses are excellent performers, sharp and contrasty.

I use all of them with an adapter on My Contax RTS3 and my other Contax SLRs And, they screw right into my new Bessaflex.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    I think that my Exacta VX1000 was marked "Made in USSR Occupied Germany".

Talk about rubbing your nose in it .
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to clarify the Zeiss Jena lenses were not Meyer designs, for many years Praktica sold both alternatives, in fact they sold an excellent Meyer WA a 29mm, not 28mm like the Zeiss lens.

Late production of Prakticar lenses were made by Sigma in Japan.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The east german zeiss lenses are every bit as sharp as the west german zeiss, regardless of what some people might say. The optics are comparable, but the fit and finish of the west german lenses seem to be a bit better.

One of the things that keeps me shooting the Pentacon Six tl are the marvellous zeiss lenses that can be purchased for about 1/5 the cost of comparable hassy zeiss lenses.

Mr. Monaghan's medium format site has some interesting comparisons regarding the east-west zeiss lens issue.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin