Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,202   Online: 940

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about price, but I often shoot entire fashion stories between an 85mm and a 50mm. I prefer the 50 as it's more rewarding to shoot well, but the 85 can create sexy very easy.

I actually got mine cheap with a 28mm 1.4 from a PJ switching to canon. $1200 for both in excellent condition.

I'm very interested in the new Zeiss ZF 85 and 50 too. If for no other reason than their dedicated manual focus design. I can't manually focus my 50 nikkor at all with it's loose barrel. And I feel the price on these is suprisingly reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Resurrecting an old thread, but I thought anyone interested in seeing the results of a Jupiter-9 can have a look at the photo of a sculpture in my gallery. It passes the Fred Picker test of branches against a sky.

I've also shot some pictures at my brother's wedding with it last summer, and damn me, I couldn't find which ones I took with my Pentax lenses, and which ones I took with the J-9. I suppose that under untrying circumstances (soft light that day, very diffused), it's hard to be a bad lens.

I do like the perspective of the 85mm, it is indeed an ideal lens for making portraits while keeping a close distance to the subject. The 135mm doesn't give as much volume to the face, and sets you farther back from the subject. In fact, I found that the ideal distance for the 135mm was to photograph subjects in the middle of a street when you stand on a sidewalk. Call it a "Parade" focal.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a 100mm f2 Planar for my Contax and it was every bit as dear as an 85mm 1.4. It is a most satisfactory lens.

I used to own both a Canon 1.8 85mm Serenar in LTM and a Nikon 85mm F2 in Nikon Rangefinder mount. Both were a far cry from a modern lens wide open but otherwise nice at medium apetures.

To add to Mr Cardwell's long list of 85mm F1.2 lenses I would add the 85mm 1.2 Planar in MM mount...lots of luck in finding one at a price that is palatable.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Leica f2.0 90mm Summicron R lens for my R series Leicas that I purchased used in about 1985. Outstanding performance and very sharp. Lens used as I recall cost about $350?? at the time. Now they would be much more, but the prices have increased since then. Additionally, as I recall Leica's R lenses over 90mm?? are all Apo lenses.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin