Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,674   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

professional use of 35mm

Recently I was watching some fashion photographers on FTV, and was suprized to find that some of them actually use 35mm film. Suprizing is the fact that they use film, ok, but 35mm film? That's really suprizing.

Also, I was watching some tutorial video made by a famous glamour photographer on photo.net, and he says that 35mm is mostly used in glamour photography (while medium format is more used in fashion photography)
    Also suprizes me.

Then there was another photographer that worked for Vogue, using
    Canon 35mm SLR

etc.

I though nobody used 35mm professionally since journalists and sports photographers mostly switched to DSLR's.

Whas is the real picture here?
    How often is 35mm still used in pro photography, and in what fields?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually for quite a long time, 35mm was a staple in the pro ranks, it was used in sports, product, fashion and other fields, I have used it in my photography business for a great number of years now, and still continue to use it, all of the weddings I have booked for this summer will be taken on 35mm film, I will use medium format for the formals and 35mm for the rest of the wedding..but as I said 35mm has been a staple for many years in the pro ranks..I know of 5 studios here locally that are using 35mm and quite a few in Spokane, WA as well as other areas around the NW part of the US. All of my wildlife work is done on 35mm

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm has been a professional medium since the early '30s.

It is all up to the photographer.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a lot of magazines still accept 35mm chromes and prints made from 35mm film. the paper i worked for still had photographer/s that shot with 35mm film - it wasn't a giant paper, but just the same it was a weekly with a fair circulation.

maybe in the fashion / glamour world it is more about standing out in sea of digital shooters. its all about doing something a little bit different these days, isn't it ?

- john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think Ed is just surprised that 35mm is still used by a number of professionals; sometimes you get the impression that everyone, in certain fields, has gone digital. Not surprising really, when even some here tell you they "have" to use digital in order to satisfy the client.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    It has been my experience, in the small amount of magazine shooting that I do, that the perceived advantages of digital pretty much disappear when working for a lot of the large magazines.

They aren't in a rush, film and processing are a miniscule part of the overall budget, and the managing photographers and editors hire people based on their "look" and if that involves film, or goats, or whatever, they don't care as long as you give them what they are looking for.

It is in advertising, by my experience, that the younger creative directors have become used to last minute, poorly pre produced, spray and pray digitography. There have been exceptions.

Shooter
    35mm
    The other preception - or widely-known myth is that you need a certain format to shoot certain subjects, and fairly often it is "everybody uses MF to shoot fashion / glamour".

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Davor
    Recently I was watching some fashion photographers on FTV, and was suprized to find that some of them actually use 35mm film. Suprizing is the fact that they use film, ok, but 35mm film? That's really suprizing.

Also, I was watching some tutorial video made by a famous glamour photographer on photo.net, and he says that 35mm is mostly used in glamour photography (while medium format is more used in fashion photography)
    Also suprizes me.

Then there was another photographer that worked for Vogue, using
    Canon 35mm SLR

etc.

I though nobody used 35mm professionally since journalists and sports photographers mostly switched to DSLR's.

Whas is the real picture here?
    How often is 35mm still used in pro photography, and in what fields?
    Rather than relying on anecdotal statements posted here on APUG, I would suggest that everyone Google the following phrase - "Kodak Pulse Poll"; leave oof the quotes. The reports of the pulse poll might be enlightening.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of the more popular motocross magazines only accepts chromes.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    35mm
    Its just my opinion, but an internet poll of wedding photographers is hardly an overview of pro photography, rather a distinct segment that invested in the new technology early on, and in large, finds it suited to their work.

While the impact of digital can hardly be denied, film continues to be quietly used in many applications.

Its not the film vs. digital dead dead dead horse, but rather a look at how film continues to be used in pro applications. It is absolutely still strong in the magazine market, even in many photo magazines with an obvious bias, there are many chromes to be found.

It's just an opinion, and its just my experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin