Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,579   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next OM-1 lens

Shooter
    35mm

Next OM-1 lens

I use my OM-1 primarly for available light B&W candid portraiture and street photography. I currently only have a 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 lenses, but I want to buy ONE other lens. Should I go wide with the 24/2.8 (or 28/2.8) or long with the 100/2.8 (or maybe the 85/2 or 135/2.8). I'm leaning towards the 100/2.8, but want other opinions as well.

Thanks,
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IF your going to shoot primary steet work, I would go wide angle, if your going to shoot portraits I would go with the 100, the 50mm are a great middle of the road for both work, but once you start to look at lenses they become a little more specialized to the type of work your doing, I feel the 100 would be a little tight to work with on street, but is a great portait length, when I am doing street work, most of the time, I use a 24mm...

If you can get a hold of a couple of lenses to test out, do some shots in the type of work you will do most and see how you like the results.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Chris For available light portraiture indoors by window light I find a fast 85mm to be ideal,I prefer this focal length, although I do own the other two lenses you mention, the main reason is the working distance to frame a head and shoulders , or head to waist shot in most houses in a normal size rooms is limited . For environmental portraits, (showing People in their surroundings) a fast wideangle a 35mm f2 or a 28mm f2 are both good although expensive, you could probably manage with 2.8 if they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, too, am a big fan of the 24mm, but when I'm wandering the streets with my OM's the lens I tend to use most is my Zuiko 35-70mm/f3.6. I generally prefer to use primary lenses, but this particular zoom is one huge exception to that rule (and the only one for me). It's certainly one of the sharpest zoom lenses I've ever seen. It's shortcoming is the smaller aperture, but for street stuff I'm generally handholding and shooting faster film anyway. Just a thought.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Dave said, it depends on what you'd like to shoot. I usually go out street shooting with a 24mm f2 on one body and a 85mm f2 on another. If I go out with a single lens then it's the 28mm f2.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but any experience with the Olympus 70-150 f/4 zoom? It relatively compact, within a stop of the 2.8, and covers the range I like for informal portraits. I've been tempted to pair one with my recently acquired OM-2; I see them go surprisingly cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm f2 is , quite simply, awesome but it is also rather pricey. Some of the finest photojournalists of all time used only a 35mm and a 50mm while others (Thurston Hopkins) used nothing more than a 35mm and a 135mm to produce some of the most powerful photo-stories of all time.
    Remember, try the lens and see if you like it!

Best of luck,

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second Dave on this one - if you are mainly doing street, you will find the wide angle to be indispensible. As a matter of fact, I think it will be on your camera most of the time. A nice short lenslike that with its depth of field and ability to use slow shutter speeds is absolutely wonderful for street type work.
    Its amazing how most people (and I count myself among them) get this common, mundane view of the venerable 50mm - and I think its only after we start the journey into various other lenses that we truly appreciate what an amazing tool a 50mm really is. I have found myself with new lenses, wanting to use them... almost trying to make an excuse to use it... and then going back to the old 50mm. When you think about it, what a bargain they really are - so sharp, so fast, so flexible!
    OK - that was a bit of off topic musing... before I trail off again - all the best,

Peter.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    if I am going into the "street" to photograph and limit myself (as i often do) to one lens...it is the 35 mm 1.4 (I do not have an olympus but use F3 Nikon....my second choice would be the 24 mm and my third choice is Pentax spotmatic 50 mm 1.4 takumar.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For street work I would get both the 28/2.8 and the 100/2.8. Faster samples would be nice, but I sense there is a more modest budget here.

The reason I would choose both is that while a wider lens is extraordinarily suited to stree photography, with patience, thought and practice the 100 can be a great tool. And the Zuiko 100/2.8 is a gem. Great optical performance in a package that is hardly bigger than a lot of the older generation 50s.

The 35/2.8 is no slouch, either.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin