Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,868   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang man, you guys are making me feel bad. I just took some pix of mine last night cause I haven't used it in YEARS and I'm thinking of selling it. Bought it new in the 80's from B&H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It takes 2 SR44SW batteries. Don't use alkaline batteries, only SR44SW or equivalent. The XA is totally camera dependent, and SR44SW batteries are high drain and long life. When the voltage drops from use, it wil do so quickly, i.e. it has a flat discharge curve. So, voltage will be good until the battery dies. Other batteries of the same size and nominal voltage, especially the alkaline LR44, do not have this characteristic and can result in bad or erratic performance/exposures. Note: The energizer 357/303 used to be equivalent, but current published data shows it is no longer equivalent.

As others have noted, it's a great camera. I have used XAs nearly since they were released. I have two now; both need a CLA, though one is working adequately. The other is non-functional even with fresh batteries. I'll get them both CLAed at some point.

The vignetting issue is there at wide apertures, but does vary from sample to sample. It appears the later production runs alleviated much of the problem.

zuiko.com and olyfix.com both provide great repair services.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More (than you ever wanted to know) on batteries: http://www.willegal.net/photo/srt/srt-mercury.htm
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why oh WHY do I read these threads!?!?!?!?!! I should know better!

Now I want one... Thanks a lot!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought mine in early 2005 and I've never regret it. It's always in my pocket wherever I go and I get those pictures that I missed out earlier.
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus XA

If I remember correctly the XA was introduced in 1978. It did not sell very well then. I got mine as a demo in 1979 for $150 US with the A11 flash. I sold the thing in 84. It has a very sharp lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been looking for an XA for ages but people are wise to them. Prices are not cheap.

I do have an XA2 which is also a surprisingly good camera -- excellent images given that it's only zone focusing. http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/p...ympus_xa2.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin