Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,810   Online: 689

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    O.K. Everyone please note. I am "official" now. Now who can direct me to a gallery of macro-photographed insects?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG and thanks for your subscription. I don't know who's doing insects on APUG, but go to the gallery and try the search function, and if you turn up any insect photos, click on the photographer's member gallery and see if they have any more, and if that doesn't turn up anything, start a new thread in the forums on insect photography, and maybe a few insect photographers will come out of the woodwork, as it were.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Welcome to APUG and thanks for your subscription. I don't know who's doing insects on APUG, but go to the gallery and try the search function, and if you turn up any insect photos, click on the photographer's member gallery and see if they have any more, and if that doesn't turn up anything, start a new thread in the forums on insect photography, and maybe a few insect photographers will come out of the woodwork, as it were.
    You are funny, David!

Welcome to the site vollie! You will enjoy your time here, as you already found out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some very simple advice:

KEH, B&H and others that sell used gear are interested in making a profit. That means they will offer as little as possible in order to maximize their profit. Good business sense, and it will seem generous to the unknowledgable seller who is getting rid of grandpa's gear.

Your options:

1) Classified ad, either in the newspaper or here

2) Online auction. Set a minimum price, and you're good to go.

3) Private sale.

EBay seems to be the most popular, although with this route, you will pay a listing fee, and if you get paid via PayPal, you'll take another hit.

Shooter
    35mm
    ebay would be the best idea. KEH has given me some low bids. not even worth the time spent in contacting them. i sold a nikon coolpix on ebay for fifteen times the bid from KEH. it is worth paying to have a reserve. that way, if you can't get a high enough bid, you don't get shafted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vollie
    Now who can direct me to a gallery of macro-photographed insects?
    Here are some of mine. And welcome!

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, this is exactly what I wanted to see.....and learn how to do.
    Beautiful photos.
    The photo of the dandelion with one seed is just....perfect. It is like zen. It is like a haiku. It is simple.
    Thanks Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Vollie - I am one of the "learn" rather than "teach" contingent... almost a year on this site and the amount of stuff I know is only overshadowed by what I find out daily I don't know. Its a viscious circle - I love it! I think you will love the majority of the people here - I have never had a better on-line experience than APUG, I swear Sean filters who gets in... but I know he doesn't, so I guess film folk are good folk Welcome!

The main reason for my posting: you can't hold it against KEH for being a little low with their offer, the are a business (with a pretty stellar rep, I might add!), and they have to turn a profit. But, of course, that is NO reason for you to not apply the same principles to your sale!
    I would suggest first and for most to post an add here - you may get your asking price, you may not - but one thing is almost certain: you are very unlikely to have a horror story about a buyer.
    Secondly, there is eBay. Viewed by some as evil personified and/or the money grabbing arm of some ancient Masonic/Illuminati conspiracy, its actually a pretty good way to sell stuff. I have one suggestion, though:
    From my (waaaay to frequent) scans of their listings, I found that items offered with reserve tend not to generate many bids, or fewer than items with no reserve. I think most buyers find it annoying that there is a price the seller has in mind, but is unwilling to be up-front about. Fortunately, you can control the minimum price buy entering a starting bid - its a lot more open and from my experience seems to generate a better response. In the end, if you hae a good, well described item with quality pictures, I find that most itmes seem to maintain a very even price level. If nothing else, you will find out how much the public is willing topay for your camera. It also helps that the F100 is a very desireable piece with a great reputation and well deserved following - make sure you point out its excellent shape and "low mileage" and I think you will do well.
    OK - I am the guy who rambles on and on and on, by the way...

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    i wouldn't be so concerned about "less bids" due to a reserve. the number of bids aren't important as long as you get a bid that counts...one that offers a price you can live with. start with a higher asking price and less people will try. better to have less bids than to part with a piece of equipment for fiteen bucks and change, right?

i realize keh is a business trying to turn a profit, but bidding $78 for an F5 in good condition is attempted rape...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffneedham
    i wouldn't be so concerned about "less bids" due to a reserve. the number of bids aren't important as long as you get a bid that counts...one that offers a price you can live with. start with a higher asking price and less people will try. better to have less bids than to part with a piece of equipment for fiteen bucks and change, right?

i realize keh is a business trying to turn a profit, but bidding $78 for an F5 in good condition is attempted rape...
    Jeff, I agree - the rate you quoted is ridiculous. Its kind of insulting to your intelligence to be offered that for a camera like an F5.
    But I have to say, from my observation, I still find that an open starting bid generates better response than a reserve - but that is hardly a scientific study on my part!

Peter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin