Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,418   Online: 955

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand that KEH is a business and can offer what they want. I also realize that my camera is not going to sell for as much as I would really like to get for it. However, even after my conservative and realistic estimate of what my camera is worth, KEH wanted to offer nearly 50% less than that. 50% profit is alot. Does it really cost them so much to shelve it etc. I can't tell them how to run a business, and I do love to look through their catalog in my throneroom. I just choose not to "give" my equipment away to them. I will likely buy from them in the future but not sell.
    I am going to try ebay and APUG I suppose. I will glean what advice I may from all these good postings.
    Thanks everbody.
    Vol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    50% is high if your talking new equipment, but it is quite normal in the used equipment business..companies like KEH that stand behind their used equipment also figure in the time and possible parts they may have to invest to make an item salable, even with the claim of being in excellent condition by the seller, they take repairs or recondition costs into their buy offers.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Jeff, I agree - the rate you quoted is ridiculous. Its kind of insulting to your intelligence to be offered that for a camera like an F5.
    But I have to say, from my observation, I still find that an open starting bid generates better response than a reserve - but that is hardly a scientific study on my part!

Peter.
    Hey Peter, I was thinking that since I'm about to sell a bunch of random stuff on ebay, i'll try the scientific method and see what works best and try to share some results.

i guess that you have to set a bottom line. sometimes it is a bit scary to see a high starting bid amount.

to change the topic... selling photo equipment is not always the best idea. if you think about what you paid, and the percentage you'll lose, plus the time you've spent learning that equipment, it may be better to just hang on to it.

going back to the ebay topic... there are also some real losers out there that will buy your equipment, which you know works, and try to shaft you by claiming it doesn't work properly. for any possible ebay seller, i'd suggest requiring postal insurance. it will save you some heartache.

time to stop rambling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff,

I would love to see the results of your experiment - I am not at all sure I won't be surprised. Until one measures something, its often like the case of cars: ever notice that when a friend or someone you know has aprticular car in a particular colour, it seems that the majority of them are that colour? Perhaps I am just exposing my insanity here...
    I also think you make an excellent point about making the initial decision to sell - with photo gear its a really, really slim chance that you get what the gear is actually worth to you, regardless of what the market value is. Add to that the aspect you mention - learning and getting used to it, and its rarely worth it. Plus, not to sound preachy, but from my (again, very non-scientific) observations most people regret selling their cameras. The return is not that worth while and just see these pages for all the posts that start with: "I really wish I NEVER got rid of that camera..."

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    I impulse bought the F100. It is too much camera for me or maybe I am just a Luddite. I have no problem using a nice manual camera. I don't even want to use (the F100) it after reading the manual. I have only shot one roll through it. I want to get a FM3a or maybe a FM2n, two cameras that I can enjoy operating. I used to have fun with my K1000. I am afraid of my F100.
    Sooooo....I don't think I will regret selling the F100.
    As a matter of fact I will be happy because with the proceeds, I am back to cameras I can enjoy.
    I enjoy my Olympus 35RC, my crappy-ass Yashica TL Super, my crappy light seal Yashica Electro GSN, And my FREE Nikon F Photomic FTN.
    Ya know what I mean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vollie,

I think I owe you an apology - I kind of hijacked your thread and got into a conversation with Jeff. My comments were not necessarily aimed at you, or anyone in particular. But just have a look at the forums, and you will see what I mean, even if it does not apply in this case. The F100 is a fine camera, heck, I'd say its one of the best - but, I shoot mainly Canon FD stuff, (but I also own a Lubitel, Holga, Zenit, Canonets two, Brownies - well, you get the picture, that ist goes on...) so I know what you mean. When my friends hand me their Elans or EOS gizmos I kind of cringe. I realized one thing: I like knobs and buttons and rings, I do NOT want to have to hear the word "menu" in conjunction with my camera. I just don't think I could ever do anything intuitively with a modern SLR, which is part of the reason why I don't (because cost is really less of an issue in todays market). When I see people wrestle with the menus and special functions to get what they want, I just run the other way. Also, I had the distinct pleasure of trying to take photos with an AF camera in low light... wow, it was more aggrevating than using one of those phone manus you get when you call any company nowdays...
    Like I said earlier - I am that guy who rambles on...

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    No apology necessary. I enjoy reading the posts.
    I know that, even though I am an amateur photographer, I can still take a manual camera with a matchstick meter, decent conditions and most importantly, a good composition and come up with I nice photo that will satisfy my needs and if I am lucky, impress somebody else.....some other amateur.
    Vol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not to hijack the thread either, but I'm also interested in selling some gear. I've read through all of this and I think I'll subscribe and try this marketplace before eBay - but before any of that I need to know something else: selling price. What is reasonable for 35mm used gear? Should I base numbers off of KEH's catalouge (the photographic bluebook, perhaps?) or some other source?

I really want to turn some stuff around so that I can afford more parts for another camera... I've got a Nikon N70 that has been sitting on my shelf for months, along with some Nikon zoom lenses, old filters, cases, etc, etc. My Hasselblad and I are hungry for film. Lots of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vollie
    I impulse bought the F100. It is too much camera for me or maybe I am just a Luddite. I have no problem using a nice manual camera. I don't even want to use (the F100) it after reading the manual. I have only shot one roll through it. I want to get a FM3a or maybe a FM2n, two cameras that I can enjoy operating. I used to have fun with my K1000. I am afraid of my F100.
    Sooooo....I don't think I will regret selling the F100.
    As a matter of fact I will be happy because with the proceeds, I am back to cameras I can enjoy.
    I enjoy my Olympus 35RC, my crappy-ass Yashica TL Super, my crappy light seal Yashica Electro GSN, And my FREE Nikon F Photomic FTN.
    Ya know what I mean?

I'd be sad to part with a Nikon. I only sell if I have duplicate equipment. It is fun, though, to end up with a "new, old" camera. Trade in the F100 for one hundred holgas. Each one will be different. Ha ha. Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whelan
    Not to hijack the thread either, but I'm also interested in selling some gear. I've read through all of this and I think I'll subscribe and try this marketplace before eBay - but before any of that I need to know something else: selling price. What is reasonable for 35mm used gear? Should I base numbers off of KEH's catalouge (the photographic bluebook, perhaps?) or some other source?

I really want to turn some stuff around so that I can afford more parts for another camera... I've got a Nikon N70 that has been sitting on my shelf for months, along with some Nikon zoom lenses, old filters, cases, etc, etc. My Hasselblad and I are hungry for film. Lots of film.

What's up with everyone bailing on their Nikons?

Do your research, Will. Look at every source you can and look for an average. If you can go the way of posting an ad here, you'll do well. If you need the money soon, an ebay 3 or 5 day auction might be your best bet.

To ramble on some more, keep a few things in mind...
    1. Ebay charges some hefty fees.
    2. PayPal (if thats how you accept payment) charges HEFTY fees.

You might sell an item for two hundred bucks and pay 20 something in fees. Not to beat this subject, but make sure that's worth it.

And if you and your Hassy are hungry for film, go the inexpensive way, and check J&C or Freestlye.

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin