Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,612   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe EDZ will chime in and enlighten us all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Go to Aggie's link and click on the banner that say Zeiss lenses in Nikon mount
    They are fine lenses, the specs look good. But, they are not autofocus and not 'D' lenses, so while some may find them of value, I don't.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its a very nice looking camera...modern Zeiss glass on a solid rangefinder would be fun to own.

I suspect, though, that this will be prohibitively expensive for the average shutterbug and attractive to a very small market. The hurdle that they must get over will be the "What do I do with the $1000.00 that I have to spend on a new camera?" that would be the upper end of an "average" amateur would be willing to splurge on a new system.

(Don't beat me up on the budget issue. I am being fairly arbitrary here...and interjecting my own subjective viewpoint. But think about who and how many buy 35mm film systems over $1000.00 and who doesn't and you begin to see what I mean...)

I would love to have one...but won't be willing to spend more than about $500-800.00 on it. jmho

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    They are fine lenses, the specs look good. But, they are not autofocus and not 'D' lenses, so while some may find them of value, I don't.
    I agree with you on this one, Robert.
    No more third party lenses on my Nikons
    Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Well firstly I am sorry to confuse the issue by the way I wrote the link. My intellectual glue pot is empty and my mental scissors too dull to know how to cut and paste. I thought that the readers of this article would enjoy the comments made by Zeiss about the superiority of film. The material posted on Imagelink HQ and Spur developers were also interesting thought I. That Zeiss has chosen to rease a photomicrograph of an actual 400lpm result made me chuckle. I do not believe that 400lpm is any necessity. Happy would I be to get 200lpm. 200lpm I beleive is capable of producing more detail in a 4x6 print than I can appreciate..in fact it might possibly make a satisfactory 5x7. Of course I was concerned that a certain gentleman, who I will not identify, not see this materail. Too dear to me by far is he and I would hate to see him have a cererbral hemmoroid of a fit of catonia.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Claire,

I think this is the link you wanted: http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9?Open

"The new ZEISS ZF lenses went to test for resolving power recently. Attached to a Nikon F6, which was mounted on a Sachtler heavy duty tripod, we exposed our Eastman resolution test chart onto Kodak Imagelink HQ film. The best we had ever achieved before with any SLR lenses was 250 lp/mm.

The new Planar T* 1.4/85 ZF achieved that same resolution at f/5.6, and even down to f/2.

The new Planar T* 1,4/50 ZF went even further: It reached 320 lp/mm in the aperture range from f/5.6 to f/2.8, and 250 lp/mm at f/2."
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    And,

http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...highlight=spur

"Resolving Power Record with ZEISS Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM

When Hasselblad staff photographer Jens Karlsson took demo photos for the first Zeiss Ikon brochure in 2004, his photo of the carousel, taken with the ZM-Biogon 25 stood out for its enormous detail and clarity. So we used a ZM-Biogon 25 in a recent test to determine maximum resolving power. The high resolution film of choice was the SPUR Orthopan UR supplied and processed by SPUR.

The result was a whopping 400 lp/mm on film, recorded with the Biogon 25 at f/4 in the center of the image. This value, 400 lp/mm, corresponds to the maximum resolution theoretically possible at f/4; in other words it represents the calculated "diffraction limited" performance at this aperture. It is noteworthy that this test was conducted with a production lens on a production camera, indicating that the film was precisely positioned and flat.

Let's just say that this test is relevant to everyday photography the same way the top speed of a Formula 1 race car relates to everyday personal transportation. Of course, many people enjoy watching Formula 1 races ..."
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Its a very nice looking camera...modern Zeiss glass on a solid rangefinder would be fun to own.

I suspect, though, that this will be prohibitively expensive for the average shutterbug and attractive to a very small market. The hurdle that they must get over will be the "What do I do with the $1000.00 that I have to spend on a new camera?" that would be the upper end of an "average" amateur would be willing to splurge on a new system.

(Don't beat me up on the budget issue. I am being fairly arbitrary here...and interjecting my own subjective viewpoint. But think about who and how many buy 35mm film systems over $1000.00 and who doesn't and you begin to see what I mean...)

I would love to have one...but won't be willing to spend more than about $500-800.00 on it. jmho

First off, Zeiss is currently selling ZM lenses for Leica M mount, so you can get them for rangefinders.

The 50 f1.4 is well within your price range for the ZF and ZS versions ($499USD), but the 85 is around $1000, of course that is what new AF 85's go for (The Nikkor is about the same price, the Canon EF 85 f1.2L mk II is $2500USD).

These are priced reasonably. Better than some equivalents as a matter of fact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I do not believe that 400lpm is any necessity. Happy would I be to get 200lpm.
    I find that if I write compactly and neatly, I can easily get 200 lines per meter. Claire is correct in thinking that any handwriting smaller than that is so small as to be useless for the typical reader.

Lee

An article attribted to Ctein in Mar/Apr 02 Photo Techniques is reported to say "We see more than line pair resolution....That little discontinuity where one line butts up against another really jumps out at you when the lines aren't perfectly matched.This is called vernier acuity."
    I mislaid his article but IIRC, Roger Hicks put the lpm resolution on a print viewed from 10ins as 8 lppm and the vernier acuity at 30 lppm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin