Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 973

Shooter
    35mm RF

Tamron 200mm f3.5

Just picked up a mint condition manual focus Tamron 200mm f3.5 lens, very cheap on eBay.

Can anyone give me their opinions of this lens. How does it compare with modern fixed focal length 180/200mm lenses?

Does anyone know what the original new selling price of this lens was (preferably in UK pounds).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is the fixed mount lens it was sold new from 78-84 and sold for $160.00 US during that time frame, in todays money that would be 92.13 pounds, I use alot of the Tamron SP series lenses in the adaptall mount, and have always been pretty happy with the results, they have had their ups and downs over the years, but for the most part, the non-SP series lenses have been a pretty good general consumer lens, I doubt your going to be able to compare to the modern fixed lenses due to the fact that construction tech and coating technology has advanced a whole bunch since the time this lens was made.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The lens looks a bit more modern than that. It uses the Adaptall 2 mount system but doesn't have the letters SP on it. From the look of the lens, my guess is that its probably dated around 1990.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by petebown
    The lens looks a bit more modern than that. It uses the Adaptall 2 mount system but doesn't have the letters SP on it. From the look of the lens, my guess is that its probably dated around 1990.
    I would be interested in looking at the auction listing, none of my books list that lens, and I have books up through 2002, could you point me to the auction listing?

Thanks.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7593074688

I've seen a few of these lenses on eBay and they do sell at bargin prices.

Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by petebown
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7593074688

I've seen a few of these lenses on eBay and they do sell at bargin prices.

Pete
    Hi Pete,

That looks to be an update version of the fix mount model, there is not changes in the lens other than the addition of the adaptall mount, so it may indeed be a bit newer, I would suspect the specifications would be very simular to the fixed mount model, as I said, I have use a lot of Tamrons over the years and have been pleased with them for the most part, it should be a good lens, especially for the price you got it for, you will find it heavy, well built lens, that will stand up to just about anything you can throw at it...Good catch..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Haven't taken any photos with the lens yet... I'm waiting for another lens to turn up before putting a film in the camera.

The lens construction is very good. As you say its quite heavy, but that's not a problem. It does look as if it suffers from very slight pincushioning. The lens bokeh (out of focus effect) is appears to be very good and the wide maximum aperture compared with the average 70-210 makes it really nice to use.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin