Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,545   Online: 869

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks FlyingCamera. I didn't take my IR film to Venezuela last December because I was unsure of how it would be affected. That's good to know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    YES!!!!! Those of us talking about x-ray are talking about the carry-on x-ray at the security station, not the luggage x-ray - that will destroy your film.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    YES!!!!! Those of us talking about x-ray are talking about the carry-on x-ray at the security station, not the luggage x-ray - that will destroy your film.
    Yes- the luggage xray for checked bags will wreck even slow speed films- I put my film holders for my 4x5 in my checked suitcase, and forgot that I had four sheets of Fuji NPS 160 loaded in them. After shooting and processing, I found the sheets that were on the bottom of the suitcase closest to the xray emitter were significantly fogged. Lucky for me, it was only 4 sheets. Unlucky, they were some great photos of a nude in the landscape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Link to the Transportation Security Administration Policy:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?co...a860&print=yes

This is what it says:

Transporting Film
    WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

Traveling with Film

Never place undeveloped film in your checked baggage.
    Place film in your carry-on baggage* or request a hand inspection.
    * Carry-on screening equipment might also damage certain film if the film passes through more than 5 times.

None of the screening equipment - neither the machines used for checked baggage nor those used for carry-on baggage - will affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, videos, photo compact discs, or picture discs.

General use film **

You should remove all film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage. The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800.

If the same roll of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times.

Specialty film **

Specialty film is defined as film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher and typically used by professionals.

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher
    Highly sensitive X-ray or scientific films
    Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)
    Film that is or will be underexposed
    Film that you intend to 'push process'
    Sheet film
    Large format film
    Medical film
    Scientific film
    Motion picture film
    Professional grade film
    Other Tips and Precautions:

If you plan to request a hand inspection of your film, you should consider carrying your film in clear canisters, or taking the film out of solid colored canisters and putting it into clear plastic bags, to expedite the screening process.
    If you are going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations with the same rolls of undeveloped film, you may want to request a hand-inspection of your film. However, non-U.S. airports may not honor this request.
    If you plan to hand-carry undeveloped film on an airplane at an international airport, contact the airport security office at that airport to request a manual inspection.
    Consider having your exposed film processed locally before passing through airport security on your return trip.
    We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you can request a hand inspection.
    You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign airports.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always ask for a hand check. They say the carry-on x-ray machines are safe, but I'm not so sure there isn't a cumulitive effect.

My routine includes taking all my film (35mm and 120) out of the packages and into a large plastic zip lock bag. I ALWAYS carry ISO 3200 with me (if only as a "prop") to insure that my request for a hand sheck is honored. It's always worked for me with the exceptions of airports in Paris and Amsterdam.

Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Joey, you may have misunderstood.

DO NOT PACK FILM IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

ALWAYS CARRY IT WITH YOU.

The Porta, PanF, and Delta400 can go through the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint, the 3200 can't.

Clear?

Good luck, enjoy your trip,

Dan
    FWIW I took 3200 to the Isle of Man for the TT races. No problems. Unless U.K. x ray machines are different from the U.S. then I'd assume no problem there either.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    I'll be flying tomarrow and planning to take along a small kit (My Minolta 450si, one lens a meter, several filters and possibly my ZI Nettar). If I separate the few rolls of film that I'll be taking (probably 10-12) and carry them with me through security, will I be able to avoid having them xrayed???

I don't have a film bag and I've heard that they're not all they're cracked up to be....
    Joey,

Here is what I pulled off of an old Fred Picker news letter on the subject:

"It seems to me that what is of the greatest difficulty for the teacher to convey and of the greatest importance for the student to learn is the fact that what a photographer faces are conditions, not theory. For example, there have been a half-dozen magazine articles regarding the theoretical effect or lack of effect on films from the security X-rays that they are subjected to before almost all flights. Everyone has a theory; why doesn't anyone know? Determined to find out, I put all my film in lead foil bags - except one roll - before a recent trip to Europe. When I got home I developed that roll with the others and checked the base density against the base density of the lead-protected film. The protected rolls showed a normal .08 base density but the unprotected film showed a base density of 1.4. X-rays fog unprotected film. That's not a theory; it's a condition. Lead foil bags are a must for airline travel. They hold 20 rolls of 120 or 35mm film or one 100-sheet box of 4x5, ........."
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had Pan F fried ( Halifax or Toronto ).

I've had NPS toasted ( NEWARK ).

The policy has always been that if a traveler asks, it will be hand checked. In many airports, before TSA, the private security firms just made up all the rules, and did what they wanted. All is different now. Just be sure to arrive early, go through Security in a lull, and expect to unpack everything. Pack, in other words, to be able to unpack. Don't use your dirty underwear to pad your Dagors.

Sheet film is a bit of a problem. Mainly because the guards are trained to look for the out of the ordinary. 11x14 holders are out of the ordinary. So are 4x5. The concept of SHEETS of film is foreign to the life of a normal person.

One difficulty I've had in Canada is that it is easy to be separated from the "shoulder bag" and the "under the seat bag". While the camera and lenses are being sorted out ( and left in chaos 10 feet from me at the bottome of a conveyer ) I've had to beg for the guard to not open the 100 sheet boxes of 4x5 to look for something even more unusual than a photographer having an aneurism.

I knew I was in trouble when she switched from french to english when i switched from english to french. And back again, when i switched back. It wasn't until I saw here nametag and said her surname was my grandmother's name. A lie, but a good distraction. And thank God for the Mountie that came over to count my Leica lens caps.

Always an adventure to fly. And remember the words of the great Canadian, Mary Walsh, who said, " Toronto is proof that Hell is full, and the dead do walk upon the earth."

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    Joey,

Here is what I pulled off of an old Fred Picker news letter on the subject:
    Perhaps, I never checked the base density of my developed film, but I have never had a reason to do so. It is impossible for me to travel more than 50 miles from where I live without getting on an airplane. Since I have lived here (8 years), I have traveled to Australia (6 times), New Zealand (2 times), Jordan, England, Germany, Maui, Hawaii Island (3 times), Kauai (2 times), California (3 times). I have always put my film through the security x-ray, and never once had any problem.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Perhaps, I never checked the base density of my developed film, but I have never had a reason to do so. It is impossible for me to travel more than 50 miles from where I live without getting on an airplane. Since I have lived here (8 years), I have traveled to Australia (6 times), New Zealand (2 times), Jordan, England, Germany, Maui, Hawaii Island (3 times), Kauai (2 times), California (3 times). I have always put my film through the security x-ray, and never once had any problem.
    Hey, what works for you works for you... I was just sharing information in the spirit of trying to help.... BTW I have 3 leaded bags and don't take a chance...
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin