Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,464   Online: 1128

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    Joey,

Here is what I pulled off of an old Fred Picker news letter on the subject:

".... edit.... Lead foil bags are a must for airline travel. They hold 20 rolls of 120 or 35mm film or one 100-sheet box of 4x5, ........."
    I wonder when Fred wrote that.

Today, the machine just turns up the juice until it sees into the lead bag.

So, the point of the bag is defeated. The point of the machine is to see what's in the bag.

Make sense ?

/
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently when I returned from overseas, I was flagged at my home airport in customs for further checking. I put my carry-on bag with 60 rolls of exposed Tri-X 120 on the table for them to check thinking they were going to hand check it all. I bend down to get another bag and when I go to put it on the table too, I see an agent putting my film bag onto a conveyer and it being whisked into one of those BIG baggage x-ray machines. Needless to say, I thought a week's worth of work was ruined. I was happy to get home, process the film and find that there was no damage at all.

Beware of this happening to you as I had never seen this method of customs before.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I wonder when Fred wrote that.

So, the point of the bag is defeated. The point of the machine is to see what's in the bag.

Make sense ?

/
    Well Fred wrote that in the late 80s early 90s; However in the spirit of Fred, he would have said you should not guess, you should know. So, you put the bulk of your film in the lead bag, and leave one out. When you return home, develop the all the film and test the rolls for density. If they are the same then you are ok... If not deal with it accordingly.

My experience with a very nice lead bag that I have is that nearly 100% of the time the x-ray in the security area normally only sees a blob and I automatically get a hand check... which is my goal. So, if I am going to travel with film, I get to the airport early and expect a full security check...
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! I didn't expect all of this info....this is terrific!

I may have failed to explain my planned proceedure:

I'll be carrying my kit with me. I started the thread to find out if the carry on xray damaged film.

I was going to keep the 2-3 rolls of 3200 on my person and let the film go with the camera bag on the belt. But after additional thought, it really won't be that hard to put the film in a plastic bag and keep it with me and request a hand inspection. Do they require you to open the foil wrappers (120)?

Perhaps I'll do a little test of my own. Put a couple of rolls inthe bag and see what happens to them.

Thanks guys. You've been very helpful. Now let's hope I get the chance to expose as much film as possible! Business is business, but hey! we're talkin photography here! The mountains of Carolina are very picturesque.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not put film in checked in luggage, it get higher rads.
    Just run the film through with your carry on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    I believe they only turn up the gain on the machine, not the power. The power level is fixed.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to keep the 2-3 rolls of 3200 on my person and let the film go with the camera bag on the belt. But after additional thought, it really won't be that hard to put the film in a plastic bag and keep it with me and request a hand inspection. Do they require you to open the foil wrappers (120)?
    Joe[/QUOTE]

Occasionally they will tear open the 120 foil pack just to check as security isn't usually as familiar with 120 as they are with 35mm.

I wouldn't depend too much on lead bags anymore either as I've seen security remove film from the bags of others and run them back through the machine.

Hand checks can be pretty interesting too. Once in Warsaw, srcurity brought in a 200 lb German Shepherd to do a "nose" check on my bag of film.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markauf
    Hand checks can be pretty interesting too. Once in Warsaw, srcurity brought in a 200 lb German Shepherd to do a "nose" check on my bag of film.

Mark
    200 lbs. !!! That's a BIG dog!!!

I don't have any problems with inspection; dogs or not.

My 35mm canisters are pretty hokey looking, with lots of making tape and marker. I just like to keep the 12o in their foil wrappers until they're used.

Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago I made 4 quick round trips between Omaha and Chicago and Dallas. I kept a roll of TMY in my carry on the whole time. After the 4th trip (8 passes through carry on x-ray machine) the film was fine.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    FWIW I took 3200 to the Isle of Man for the TT races. No problems. Unless U.K. x ray machines are different from the U.S. then I'd assume no problem there either.

Pentaxuser
    I went to bed and woke up this morning with a nagging thought. Occasionally we take the car by seacat to the Isle of Man instead of flying. Racking my brains, I now think that the 3200 was transported in the car by ship. So no x ray machines involved.

So apologies. I suspect that my 3200 was never subjected to x rays. Sorry about that.

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin