Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,562   Online: 1140

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flying with film

I'll be flying tomarrow and planning to take along a small kit (My Minolta 450si, one lens a meter, several filters and possibly my ZI Nettar). If I separate the few rolls of film that I'll be taking (probably 10-12) and carry them with me through security, will I be able to avoid having them xrayed???

I don't have a film bag and I've heard that they're not all they're cracked up to be....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, this is old news, but if you haven't flown in a while ...

Do NOT put your film in your checked luggage.

DO put it in your carry-on and unless it's ISO 800+, don't worry about it. If you're nice, and want to, you can ask for a hand inspection. If your film if 400 or less, just run it through with your carry-on.

Relax and have a good trip.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always ask for a hand inspection, I take the film out of the canisters and carry them on, most of the time they will accomidate me, if I arrive early and don't try to get a hand inspection while everyone else is going through security, but sometimes I end up with it going through the x-ray machine, up to 400 speed film, I have never shown any ill effects, and I have been on trips where stuff has been x-rayed several times, it depends on the airport and who is in charge, but by federal law, you are suspose to be able to request a hand inspection and received it, in actual practice sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. with the state of security affairs now a days, I would plan for your film being x-rayed. Now a days, film bags seem to be a waste of money, often times if carrying your film in a bag they can't x-ray through then they get mad and will take it all out and x-ray it anyway.

Others will have varied experiances than me..

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unless you are carrying high speed film, don't worry. Just put them through the x-ray machine and save yourself the hassle. On my last trip to New Zealand/Australia I ran Velvia 100 through airport x-rays 8 times, with no ill effects. If you are carrying high-speed film, tell the screening person, they are all trained for this.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I flew domestic (USA) recently and asked the security to hand inspect it. They were very nice about it as long as you have the film ready in a bag for inspection. They did ask me to take them out of the little boxes. The funny thing is that most of the film I brought was bulk loaded in plastic cannisters. It would have been so easy to smuggle drugs in those cannisters because they can't open them. I wouldn't recommend doing that if you're flying overseas; you may end up in a Midnight Express-type situation.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't ask for a hand inspection anymore either. I am curious, however, about infrared film. Do the airport x-rays have an effect on it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.

I don't fly that often (about once every 3-4 years) and this is the first time that I'm bringing a kit with me.

So...my Portra, PanF and Delta400 all go in the bag and can get zapped. The couple of rolls of 3200 that I'm taking go with me and asked for hand inspection.

Ari: You're probably right about the drug thing, but why people would risk something like that is beyond me...besides, tipping a pint has got to be so much more enjoyable and legal! Yippie!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One thing I do with 35mm film is to take all the film out of the boxes and place them, in clear Fuji cannisters, in clear plastic bags. The inspector can just take a quick look if they want to, and it saves weight - when you travel with LF gear even a tiny bit helps.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    I don't ask for a hand inspection anymore either. I am curious, however, about infrared film. Do the airport x-rays have an effect on it?
    From personal experience, I can say No, infrared is unaffected. I took some Kodak HIE with me to Cambodia, and it went through the xray machines in Singapore, Cambodia, Singapore again, Amsterdam, New York, and Washington DC with no ill effects. If it can survive xraying in a third-world country with old machinery, plus all those other xrayings, not to mention the cosmic ray bombardment all film gets on the plane (which is a greater radiation exposure than all the xraying it is going to get on the ground anyway), it isn't going to be affected. If you have extremely high-speed film (800+), bring the lead bag to help with exposure at altitude, and get a hand-inspection at the airport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    Thanks guys.

I don't fly that often (about once every 3-4 years) and this is the first time that I'm bringing a kit with me.

So...my Portra, PanF and Delta400 all go in the bag and can get zapped. The couple of rolls of 3200 that I'm taking go with me and asked for hand inspection.

Ari: You're probably right about the drug thing, but why people would risk something like that is beyond me...besides, tipping a pint has got to be so much more enjoyable and legal! Yippie!
    Joey, you may have misunderstood.

DO NOT PACK FILM IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

ALWAYS CARRY IT WITH YOU.

The Porta, PanF, and Delta400 can go through the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint, the 3200 can't.

Clear?

Good luck, enjoy your trip,

Dan

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin