Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,136   Online: 1143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: camera help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather than an EM I suggest that you take a look at a FG. Like the EM you can use either the winder the motor drive with full manual control or automation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The EM, while one of my favourite cameras, is quite limited, being essentially an Aperture-priority only body. If you like the feel of the body, the Nikon FG is essentially the same camera with full manual and a Program mode.

Otherwise a Nikon FM or FM2 would be a good choice as an upgrade. Or an FE or FE2 which will allow you to shoot in Aperture priority like the EM or full manual.

Sticking with Nikon will allow you to use the EM as a backup body, and to keep different film in both bodies. Not to mention the obvious advantage of using your current lenses on the new camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trad_photographer
    i have an old yashica fx but had trouble finding both yashica lens and carl ziess lenses in my city,
    I started with this camera and three Zeiss lenses, I (too) quickly went up to a Contax Aria (which I use for 35mm) and the AX.
    The AX sets in a cabinet waiting to be repaired which I cannot find anybody to work on it. The Yashica waits at the ready to go anywhere and do anything. I've decided to use it exclusively for infrared film this summer.
    Now that Contax has gone defunct there is some good equipment on Ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    Manual cameras are nice for learning the craft. However, most every 35mm photographer finds the need at some time for auto exposure. There is often not enough time for slow contemplative photography. Then such cameras as the EM are a welcome additions to any camera bag. As was pointed out it gives you access to a fine family of lenses. I would keep it and get another Nikon body.
    Gerald,

I hope didn't come across as condemning auto exposure in general or the EM in particular. I agree completely with what you are saying, however, what I took out of the initial question was that a little more control was desired in order to learn a bit more about photography in general, and eventually go a little more in-depth into it. I think auto-exposure is fine once you learn what it is doing, how its doing it and why - and as such, what to expect from it and how to use it best. That's why I suggested keeping the EM - little financial gain from selling it, and a handy little camera (with emphasis on little) to have when just such a thing is called for.
    As to the suggestion of the FG - I would have to say that while it too is a fine camera (I haveone, and love it dearly), it would not be "the" camera I would buy in this case. It is very much a consumer camera which does not have certain features I think someone learning about photography could greatly benefit from (dof preview for one). But if you have the motor drive for the EM already, it does cast a vote in favour of an FG, as it essentially the same chassis with another exposure mode and the ability to go fully manual. The meter is very accurate, at least on my example, when compared with much more "pro" level gear. But I think an FM/FE type camera would serve you a lot better before you find yourself needing anything else in a manual focus 35mm camera (as you might have noticed, many people never do find a need for anything else - that's how fine a camera they are).

Well, I think I deserve to pat myself on the back for my complete lack of any Canon propaganda

Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, on eBay, I just bid on a new camera and won, and this camera is a complete, complete upgrade fom what I previously have owned. The camera that I got is the Nikon N60, a major advancement from the Nikon EM. I took into consideration everything that everyone has said, and I've decided to go with a more automatic camera which has the option of being fully manual, which is extremely good for my uses. I will use the Nikon EM like a back-up camera of some sort, but I want to try out the automatic features. Another benefit for me is DEFINETLY the pop-up flash. It saves the hassle of having a seperate flash that I would have to attach every time I needed it. It also has a nice LCD display. I chose not to go with the FG or any of the FM series because of the newer features on the EM. It is a huge leap though, and I will have to get used to it.
    Anyways, I looked at the site (http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0/em/index.htm), that was suggested, and it has some nice tips for my Nikon EM. Thanks a lot :-D

Also, thanks everyone for the help and tips on upgrading and whatnot, it all helped a lot
    And now I have my new camera thanks to you all :-D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin