Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,355   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Dan,

Could you check here and see how it compares to your manual? This suggests that you will get the F-- display whenever you use a non-CPU lens and then only manual and aperture priority modes are supported.

Roger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74
    I had and enjoyed the 8008s. Currently have a N90s. I really like the N90s, except for it's bulk. I prefer the N90s over the N90 (no S) if, for no other reason, it uses AA batteries.
    My N90 (no s) takes AA batteries.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    My N90 (no s) takes AA batteries.

Matt
    I apologize for the error. I was relying on information here (http://www.camerareview.com/template...m?camera_id=12) and what I thought I read in another site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan, please see page 67 of your manual. If the lens does not have a chip, it cannot display the aperture on the LCD. I use all manner of AI and AIS lenses on my F5 and the f-- shows in the display. This does not excuse the behavior of the company, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies.

Paul, did you mean page 76? There's nothing in the lens compatibility chart that seems relevant. Elsewhere in the manual it says that when a non-AF lens is mounted only M or A mode can be selected. The camera agrees with that. Perhaps the F5 behaves differently, but without having an F5 manual in hand I have to suspect that yours has a problem. I mean, full information in the viewfinder means just that. And there has to be a reason why the N8008S has an aperture coupling ring as well as all those contacts for communicating with chipped lenses. I believe the F5 has both too.

Roger, thanks for the link. I've reread it -- Adobe's search doesn't seem to work in that manual -- and can't find "F - -" or any indication that MF lenses won't communicate with the electronics that run the display.

Perhaps I'm mistaken about what the camera should do. And I see that I was mistaken on one point; all of the illustrations that show a lens at all seem to show an AF lens. But I find it hard to believe that a relatively advanced SLR can have an exposure system that doesn't indicate which aperture it thinks has been selected. "Trust me" is hard to believe. "Look at the lens, you idiot" seems archaic.

Thanks again,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a bargain F3 with 50 f/1.4. It worked fine but I didnít like the esthetics. Send it back for a refund (no problem here) and waited for an exc one plus an 85mm f/2.0. Both beautiful. All this happened this year. It was my first experience with KEH and a very good one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Perhaps I'm mistaken about what the camera should do. And I see that I was mistaken on one point; all of the illustrations that show a lens at all seem to show an AF lens. But I find it hard to believe that a relatively advanced SLR can have an exposure system that doesn't indicate which aperture it thinks has been selected. "Trust me" is hard to believe. "Look at the lens, you idiot" seems archaic.

Thanks again,

Dan
    AFAIK, the camera works as expected (no indication of aperture in the display with MF lenses). I'm getting ready to buy the same camera (N8008s/F801s) next month, and I'll be getting it specifically for the purpose of using it with manual AI/S lenses.

The camera works just fine with those, but it seems that it DOES NOT provide aperture info in the display. You have to set the f-stop on the lens yourself, and use the camera either in the program mode, or in A (aperture priority) mode. Manual mode will also work.

p. 44 of N8008s manual states:
    "For lenses without a built-in CPU, "F---" appears where the aperture value is shown in the LCD panel and viewfinder"

E.g. manual (AI/S) lenses do not have a built-in CPU - ergo, "F---" is displayed instead of f-stop info. The camera should work as intended, though.

So, yes - it's a bit archaic, since you indeed have to "look at the lens" to see the f-stop.

But, it's the cheapest AF body which can use (almost) the full potential of manual AI lenses. F4 is the only better one, since it allows the use of matrix metering. F801s (i.e. N8008s in USA) uses center-weighted and spot metering with manual lenses. If you have a "plain" N8008 (without "s" designation), it does not have spot metering at all.

For more info about Nikon camera bodies, I heartily recommend "Pictorial history of Nikon cameras" site:
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denis,

Thanks very much for the reply. While you were replying, I was rereading again and found the text you quoted to me.

Aaargh! What an idiot I've been! Read poorly, abused an innocent vendor, bothered other people for no good reason. I'm covered with shame. All here, please accept my apologies for idiocy and foolishness above and beyond ...

Denis, I contemplated this purchase for a couple of years. Visited the photography in Malaysia site, downloaded manuals, read them too I thought. Requirements were: 1/250 flash sync, interchangeable screens, auto-TTL flash. Plausible candidates were FM2, FM3A, N8008S/F801S, N90S/F90X. N8008S won because of features and price; nice camera, not too heavy, especially if one doesn't need AF. FM2 and FM3A lost because of price, N90S because of price, size, and weight. Rats rats rats.

Thanks to all who responded, also abject apologies for spreading misinformation and wasting your time,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But you don't have to look at the lens to get the aperture, that is what the little window that allows you to see through to the aperture ring is for (the ADR, I believe it is called).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never had any problems with KEH but I guess they do get alot of business and probably screw up as any big business might, maybe a new sales person?

Next time you order, call Jeannie Cox at 404 748-6041 and explain your probelms to her, she is very well informed about the equipemnt and will take you through the process without any embarrasments. It's always understandable noobs or new equipment can present to users. She is one of the most competant people there and will do her best to make customers happy. Tell her I said hello.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin