Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,418   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Pan usage

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

X-Pan usage

I have the opportunity to test drive an X-Pan next week. I would like to here users experiences with it. What are your likes, dislikes, and/or quirkiness about the camera.

I shoot pano with my Veriwide, and rarely even touch 35mm anymore, but it is too interseting to pass up the chance.

Thanks,

Patrick Pitzer
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Patrick,
    I have the XpanII and love it. If you check my gallery you will find several xpan shots. I tend to use this camera more than my other cameras because it is so easy to use.

Here's a few other thoughts:
    - the meter can be tricky but is not hard to figure out
    - the glass is top notch
    - a roll of 24 exp film will give you 14 shots and a roll of 36 exposure will give you 21.
    - I use the 45mm lens 99% of the time but also own the 90mm
    - the 30mm lens costs more than the camera and 45 mm lens
    - it makes a great travel camera
    - you will not need the center filter unless you are shooting bigger than f8 with slide film
    - you can buy the film anywhere

I am sure there is more but I just woke up and will add more later. Feel free to PM if you need to.

All in all, it's a wonderful camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got the Fuji TX-1 (the everywhere else's Xpan). Mine is the original version, not the Mk II version. I have shot infrared with it with no problems - it is actually a great format for infrared film. While the camera does use an IR sensor to count frames, this only creates very minor fogging between the sprocket-holes and does not intrude into the image area in any way. I only have the 45mm lens for it, and have been extremely happy with that 99% of the time. The only times I have wished for either the 30 or the 90, I found myself wishing even more for perspective control, which is not available with the Xpan in any configuration.

Images
    I bought the Xpan1 w/45mm about a year ago. It is fun. It makes such a big neg on 35mm. I only use the pano mode and not standard unless it's all I have. I don't use it a lot, but I have many cameras and I can't use them all all the time.

If you hold the button on the back down while turning it on, it will show a number that indicates how many exposures have been made. Each unit is ten exposures. Brand new they show 200 exposures.

I've always liked Fuji's idea of advancing the film into the camera and exposing it on the way back into the cassette.

Great optics. I've thought about the 30mm, but it is way expensive and I can't justify.

Xpan manual at:

http://xpan.free.fr/HTMLobj-545/XPAN_Owners_Manual.pdf
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And don't forget you will need a special negative carrier for it.

I filed out a normal 35mm carrier but a friend has made one out of 2 ply matte board.

You could also use a 4x5 glass carrier but you will need to cover up most of the glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tested the first model when it came out. It was fun, it's got good glass but in my opinion it won't offer more to me than a Mamiya 7 and it costs almost as much (I'm not sure about the exact amounts). I had a problem printing the colour negs, since most cheap minilabs and printers won't do 24x65 (I can't do colour in my darkroom). And the Mamiya can also do middle format... The Fuji (Hasselblad) is easier to use, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    I've always liked Fuji's idea of advancing the film into the camera and exposing it on the way back into the cassette.
    Sorry, I know this is off topic - but you got me really curious, what is the adventage of this?

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you accidently open the back of the camera, the exposed film is already back into the film canister, therefore protecting it.

Images
    And you know exactly how much film is left.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I love the XPAN don't leave home with out it! The only thing I can add is what you see through the view is not what you get so you need to adjust you composition up and to the left a bit. The center density does not focus properly so try to shoot past f11 and don't waster the money. Mine was 250 or 275.00$ could not get the weird focus to go away. Almost a double image.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin