Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,406   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never heard of Natura 1600 film. Is it available in the US and in 120? Sorry to get off topic...

Uhmm Nice lens for a P&S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, folks. I've seen many blogs in Japanese that promote this camera, but because these bloggers are hired by Fuji to widely advertise the product, I can never get a real good review on it.

So, I have one simple question: Does it take good pictures in daylight? How does the aperture change? Let's say if you have a 400 ASA film loaded and want to take landscape pictures on a sunny day, does it serve well for purpose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Hi, folks. I've seen many blogs in Japanese that promote this camera, but because these bloggers are hired by Fuji to widely advertise the product, I can never get a real good review on it.
    There are many casual reviews (probably due to the amateur market the camera is targeting) but they aren't hired by Fuji. Fuji just loaned a lot of cameras with some free films to get customer feedback, and perhaps as a marketing channel as well, but to my knowledge they took back the cameras and only some of the testers bought their own cameras. So there are lots of web sites that clearly state their dissatisfaction (considering the price).

But I've also seen lots of decent daylight pictures taken with this camera and 1600 speed films. But at the same time, negative films have great degree of overexposure latitudes. By just looking at the final positive image on the screen in JPEG, I can't really tell if the exposure was accurate. But so what, when you care about such, you'd better carry a medium format camera with a separate meter anyway. If not, buy two Natura S and load one with a slow film... it's still just as cheap as an extra film back for some MF cameras... (not that I'm saying that the camera is cheap)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    There are many casual reviews (probably due to the amateur market the camera is targeting) but they aren't hired by Fuji. Fuji just loaned a lot of cameras with some free films to get customer feedback, and perhaps as a marketing channel as well, but to my knowledge they took back the cameras and only some of the testers bought their own cameras. So there are lots of web sites that clearly state their dissatisfaction (considering the price).

But I've also seen lots of decent daylight pictures taken with this camera and 1600 speed films. But at the same time, negative films have great degree of overexposure latitudes. By just looking at the final positive image on the screen in JPEG, I can't really tell if the exposure was accurate. But so what, when you care about such, you'd better carry a medium format camera with a separate meter anyway. If not, buy two Natura S and load one with a slow film... it's still just as cheap as an extra film back for some MF cameras... (not that I'm saying that the camera is cheap)
    Well, what I meant was that if I would spend a couple of hundred bucks, I might go for a 24mm SLR lens instead. But if this P&S camera shoots so well, why not use it first, you know?

Please convince me this is a damn good camera!

I'm not too critical on the exposure but cannot go too far off. Some jpg pictures I've seen that were originally shot by this camera look pretty washed out, and the highlights are gone. That's the only concern I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Well, what I meant was that if I would spend a couple of hundred bucks, I might go for a 24mm SLR lens instead. But if this P&S camera shoots so well, why not use it first, you know?

Please convince me this is a damn good camera!

I'm not too critical on the exposure but cannot go too far off. Some jpg pictures I've seen that were originally shot by this camera look pretty washed out, and the highlights are gone. That's the only concern I have.
    Natura Black has manual exposure compensation function, which might help you.

Comparison of 24mm for SLR is a good one. I think the virtue of Natura is compactness. If this is not critical, I'd consider Cosina rangefinder or SLR. I have Canon 17-40mm f/4 USM L, and it's a fantastic lens, but it is not something I like to carry in a pocket when I go grocery shopping (even if I had a large pocket...). If there's a uniformly superior solution, we wouldn't be discussing this, I think.

Shooter
    35mm
    What's the Fstop range? On its specs provided by Fuji, it only says the lens is 24mm F1.9. But does the iris ever close down to F16 (or 22 if there is) when there's a lot of light? Or is it just that the EV setting changes to compensate the exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    I've never heard of Natura 1600 film. Is it available in the US and in 120? Sorry to get off topic...
    John,

As far as I know it is not available in the US. I get mine from megaperls in Japan. It works out at about the same price as Portra 800 or Pro 800Z. I don't know about availability in 120.

firecracker,
    The Natura S aperture does stop down, but I don't know any details. I assume that Ryuji can answer this better than I can, because he has referred to his fall-off tests at f/4. The maximum shutter speed is only 1/360 as far as I know (source: Dirk Rosler of megaperls). In my brief review in the 'compacts' thread, I did comment on why I prefer this camera to my Canon 24 mm f/1.4 L on an SLR, but I wouldn't want to try to persuade someone else that the Natura was the ideal camera for them. If you have these doubts, then maybe it isn't the camera for you.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    I don't know about availability in 120.
    According to Fujifilm.jp web site, they don't make it in 120/220. Only 35mm.

The Natura S aperture does stop down, but I don't know any details. I assume that Ryuji can answer this better than I can, because he has referred to his fall-off tests at f/4. The maximum shutter speed is only 1/360 as far as I know (source: Dirk Rosler of megaperls).
    Fuji does not publish the minimum aperture, but according to its published exposure program plot, the camera stops down to f/18.3. The fastest shutter speed is 1/360 sec, as you said.

As I mentioned before, this camera relies on wide latitude of color negative films in taking flashless pictures indoors and outdoors. I agree this is probably not for everyone, but I certainly see why this camera is so attractive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a little confirmation, Natura S doesn't have manual EX-comp. What Helen is using is Natura Black, I think.

firecracker,
    I like my Natura S as a good P&S, but it's a P&S.
    24mm f/1.9 is charming, it's a good glass, I tell you. But I don't think the glass is what the Natura Camera is. I think the NP mode is.
    You might have already read this. If not, take a look. It's interesting.
    http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/corporate/..._rd050_002.pdf
    Last edited by kunihiko; 03-18-2006 at 12:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    According to Fujifilm.jp web site, they don't make it in 120/220. Only 35mm.

Fuji does not publish the minimum aperture, but according to its published exposure program plot, the camera stops down to f/18.3. The fastest shutter speed is 1/360 sec, as you said.

As I mentioned before, this camera relies on wide latitude of color negative films in taking flashless pictures indoors and outdoors. I agree this is probably not for everyone, but I certainly see why this camera is so attractive.
    I am one of those people who see the usefulness of the camera. I HATE flash photography. I've never gotten anything to come out looking good using a flash. I know this is just me not knowing how to correctly use one, but if I can get the same (or better) results by using a higher speed film or lowering my shutter speed...why use a flash?

So yeah, this camera would be my ultimate point and shoot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin