Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,072   Online: 1050

Shooter
    35mm

problem with the nikon n60

i ran out of film, and last night i was just snapping pictures without film in there. this morning i got my camera out, and the flash doesn't work. the lcd just says "err" on it. what is the error? could it be the battery? but the battery meter looks just fine!

Shooter
    35mm
    even if i don't take a picture with flash, there is still an error message

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think your camera is probably fine. Try loading some film and putting on an AF lens, i'll bet the 'err' message goes away.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah, i was thinking it's probably just needing some film. just wondering if anything was actually wrong.

thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really a good idea to dry fire the camera. Guess ya don't have a manual? The Err signal blinks when there is no film in the camera.
    Get to the local camera shop and pick up some ammo. Even your local grocery store should have film.

Mike

PS:One of the best lessons I learned was to read the manual from cover to cover, 4 times, before even loading a roll of film.
    "Haste lays waste"
    jmk

Shooter
    35mm
    haha, sorry. i didn't know i wasn't supposed to dry-fire the camera. it didn't come with a manual. but i'll buy one from somewhere.

thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    p.s. what happens from dry-firing a camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanportfolio
    p.s. what happens from dry-firing a camera?
    Nothing untoward. Most manuals recommend you become accustomed to the camera functionality and controls before loading film. I 'dry-fire' my LF lenses/shutters all the time and often do it with SLR cameras when I'm checking for vignetting of filter and holder combinations. The only two downsides are that if your shutter is electronic it'll consume battery power. Secondly all shutters and other mechanical camera components have a finite life (or a certain number of shots before failure if you like) but I doubt you'll find this a problem unless you use a large amount of film.

Roger.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dedicated TTL flashes will give false readings and errors if no film is in the camera. This is because the light meter reading is taken from light that bounces off the film surface at the moment of exposure. As film is usually a dull mid-grey or brown colour, the light meter is calibrated for that shade. When there is no film in the camera, the light meter sees a black shiny surface and gets itself totally confused.

I came across this 'problem' over 20 years ago, testing a Pentax Super A with a dedicated flash without any film. I took it back to the dealer only to be sent away feeling very silly.

The light meter thats used for daylight (non-flash) photography is different and is not affected by dry running the camera.
    Voigtlander Bessa R2A, CV lenses: 25/4, 35/1.7, 50/2.5, 1936 Leica 9cm f4 Elmar
    Leica R7, 50/2 Summicron, 90/2.8 Elmarit, 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R
    I'm not going digital... It's not photography, its computing!

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by petebown
    Dedicated TTL flashes will give false readings and errors if no film is in the camera. This is because the light meter reading is taken from light that bounces off the film surface at the moment of exposure. As film is usually a dull mid-grey or brown colour, the light meter is calibrated for that shade. When there is no film in the camera, the light meter sees a black shiny surface and gets itself totally confused.

I came across this 'problem' over 20 years ago, testing a Pentax Super A with a dedicated flash without any film. I took it back to the dealer only to be sent away feeling very silly.

The light meter thats used for daylight (non-flash) photography is different and is not affected by dry running the camera.
    aha, i see. okay, thank you

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin