Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,107   Online: 1011

Thread: Lens Bokeh Page

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it's just me but I can't see much difference between the posted examples on that page. In fact, even though I am conscious of OOF areas in my images, I really can't see anything objectionable unless a lens starts forming double circles or hexagons in the OOF highlights. As long as it's smooth I am fine. Maybe I am not quite a bokeh connoisseur yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the tests on that page to be absolutely irrelevant because they all involve different light situations, subjects, distance to camera, distance of background to subject, focal length, aperture, film formats, film stock...need I add more problems?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That: http://www.rickdenney.com/bokeh_test.htm

Is a better test series.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They're both 'useful' (the latter one less so, since it deals primarily in lenses that aren't widely used) to some degree. I find informal real-world results/tests, even with a variety of subjects and film stocks, etc. to be more useful to me - they're more representative of what I might conceivably shoot. I guess I'd say my interest in reading lens info has more to do with finding out what kind of imaging characteristics I can expect in average usage, rather than an objective finding.

(Sadly, neither test focuses on lenses I might conceivably buy in the next six months - 50mm Summicron v. ZM Planar vs. Nokton...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh I wasn't meaning direct usefulness, but rather rigour of testing. To someone who hasn't built a huge storehouse of bokehs, the first page is meaningless because it does not afford the reader to identify precisely what are the characteristics of each lens. The other one (BTW, a link from the first one!) gives you a more useful experimental procedure, results, and conclusions. If you won't use the lens tested, you can at least learn more about bokeh and how to test for it.

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin