Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,865   Online: 786

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwlina
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Maybe I should add that I mainly do street photography and always in available light - that's why I value fast primes. However, a macro lens would also be interesting. I have to agree with John that 24/105 is a nice combination. But maybe I can afford something in between too.

I should in all honesty tell you what I use today. That is:
    1) A Rolleiflex 3.5 F (my main camera - I just love it)
    2) A Olympus OM-10 with 100/2.8 and 24/2.8 (these are easier to bring and sometimes better at street photography, and I tend to use these more and more)

Looking forward to more suggestions......

Love, Lina

I'd second Dan's comments. Having or having had FMs, FEs, FM2s, and FE2s - I can say I've enjoyed them all. And I'm sure you'll enjoy your FM. But with a recent OM2 acquisition, I have to say that I'm not sure you'll gain much with the FM than an OM1, OM2, or OM4. I think the OM10 is a lesser model and perhaps not quite up to the standard of the FM.

One caveot is that it seems that it's a lot easier to find Nikkor lenses in the very wide (24mm and below) or very long (300mm and above) range then it is to find OM glass. At least used.

Since you have a 24 and a 100 in OM mount, you're in the best position to answer your question. When you use your 24, do you find yourself needing more speed? Or wider? Or less wide?

One thing I might suggest is picking up a 50mm (either 1.8 or 1.4). It's the cheapest way to get good, fast, glass. Easy to afford "in between".

Then find a 24 or a 28, depending on the answer to the questions above. Image quality is, in a sense, immaterial. By that I mean all will be good enough. In street photography, with the emphasis on subject, composition, and light, the ability to get the shot will be paramount (limited ability to ask the subject to wait while you change vantage point).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite kit is:

1) Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8;
    2) Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/2.0; and
    3) Olympus Zuiko 85mm f/2.0.

Small, light, fast and sharp.

If you replace the 35mm f/2.0 with a 35mm f/2.8, it will be even smaller/lighter, and all lenses will have the same 49mm filter size.

An OM1 or OM2 will give you more of a "professional level" camera body, but I find I use my OMGs almost as much (essentially a newer OM 10, with manual shutter speeds built in, and a little newer, so the later internal refinements are incorporated).

The OMG is the North American version of the OM20 (or vice-versa).

As you already have the 24mm, as well as a good 100mm, i would suggest upgrading the body and adding a 35mm too.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your intent is to replace your Olympus OM-10, 100/2.8, and 24/2.8 with the Nikon FM and the 105/2.5, then I would simply add a 28/2.8, 24/2.8 or 24/2 (unlike Pinholemaster, I have been satisfied with the performance of my 24mm f/2).

If your intent is to use the Nikon FM in conjunction with the Olympus, then I suggest adding the 50/1.4 or 35/1.4. I am not recommending the slower versions of these lenses because you have indicated that you primarily shoot street photography in available light.

Would you please tell us why you are buying the Nikon FM? Are dissatisfied with your OM-10? If you are satisfied with the OM-10, why not just buy a fast normal Zuiko lens for your available light street photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably not much use for street photography, but speaking of Nikon classics, the 180/2.8 ED AI-S is a jaw dropper!

If you want a macro, consider the Vivitar Series 1 lenses. both the 90mm and the 105mm are very good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your good thoughts. Well, I had this opportunity of getting this Nikon FM with the 105/2.5 almost for free and thought it would be a better camera than my OM-10. I'm interested in a mechanical shutter that is not battery dependant.

I thought the Nikkor lenses are better than Olympus' Zuikos, especially the fast ones. And I agree with mbg74 that they are easier to find. I have to admit that I am a little curious about the very fast 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 Nikkors, but maybe these will be too expensive anyhow.

I might be all wrong and should be looking for a OM-1 instead? And the 35/2 and/or 85/2 Zuikos. Or maybe a 50/1.4. (I have actually tried the Zuiko 55/1.2 which is fun, but a little too soft for my liking.)

Hmmmm. I shall have to think about this...

Is there anyone who has actually compared the fast Nikkors and Zuikos? Sharpness is important, but so is good bokeh.

Love, Lina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had an affair with the 50mm f/1.4 AI Nikkor for about a year. Great lens. I loved it. Thinking of getting back that kit. The two attached photos were taken at my friend's son's birthday party wide open. Fuji Superia 800 was used...this is one of the last times I used color film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reach.jpg   thefrostingincident.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Great pictures, Stephanie.
    The bokeh looks fine too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I cannot say enough great things about this lens. The only lens that's going to give you better shallow DOF than this one is the 55mm f/1.2 AI...and that was a little too expensive for my taste when I was looking around. I have a shot that specifically shows off how shallow the DOF is wide open as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flowercrop.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the Nikkors I own or have owned better than the zuikos(28/2,8, 50/1,8, 135/3,5) I had some years ago.
    20 AFD 2,8 is a great superwide lens
    28 Ais 2,8 is very good for closeups (20cm limit). Parted with it by mistake.
    50 AFD 1,4 beats anything except
    the 85 AFD 1,4 the best lens I have ever owned.
    180 Ais 2,8 ED a great tele but on the FE (or FM) the motordrive is required for the balance.
    Bjørn Rørslett has a great site on the Nikkors

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

I had a Sigma 24 mm f/2,8 lens, the old version and that focallenght is very usefull. Not as difficult as the 20mm and not as boring as the 28mm in generel use. It went to 18cm And it was when I sold that one I got the 28mm, I love to move in very close with wide angles. I also had the Sigma 105mm Makro but in the end I found it not good enough, somehow it lacked something. I never got a Mikronikkor instead though

If I was to start over again today with a FM and a 105mm I'd probably go out and get the 50mm f/1,8 and the 28mm f/2,8 for closeups or the 28mm f/2.0 for general use. (cheap, semi cheap solution) and then perhaps get the 85mm f/1,4 (very expensive)
    Another option as you mentioned is to sell the 105 and get the 35mm and 85mm f/1,4 (more expensive solution)

Cheers Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    It sure looks fine. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin