Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,784   Online: 1193

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    ... In all honesty, you already have the Oly - there is no good, practical reason to get into another system. ...
    Sigh, Peter, you sound like my mother. I should probably be content with what I have and buy film instead. Thank you for a very sensible suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re:AF lens compatibility, anything with an aperture ring will work for you. Also the micro-nikkors make nice all round lenses, just not fast.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwlina
    Sigh, Peter, you sound like my mother. I should probably be content with what I have and buy film instead. Thank you for a very sensible suggestion.
    I am SO talking out of my arse... just so you know I am such a hypocrite... I just want you to know I am and am trying to get better, but...cameras...they are... so... pretty... and make nice sounds.... and have personalities all their own... Ah, who am I trying to fool... I am hopeless
    Its so much easier to give this sage advice to someone else than to follow it myself...

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lina you have some great suggestions here. I'll also add my support for the following very nice lenses: 28mm 1.4, 35mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 105mm, 135mm

Shooter
    35mm
    Once more, thank you all for your suggestions. This is a great way of testing ideas. Getting input from all kinds of people.

I didn't buy the Nikon FM. Maybe the Olympus way is just as good. Maybe I can get a decent 50 or 35mm lens for the money instead.

But then a 85/1.4 *is* tempting. But then again Olympus has a 85/2 which is pretty good too, isn't it....

I'll borrow my father's OM-1 and give it a good try. Then, if I like it, I shall look out for my own (he'll never let go of his) and not leave the narrow Oly path.

Thank you all for contributing to a (i hope) sensible decision.

Love you all,
    Lina

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I am SO talking out of my arse... just so you know I am such a hypocrite... I just want you to know I am and am trying to get better, but...cameras...they are... so... pretty... and make nice sounds.... and have personalities all their own... Ah, who am I trying to fool... I am hopeless
    Its so much easier to give this sage advice to someone else than to follow it myself...

Peter.
    Well, Peter, at least you can give yourself credit for saving the economy of a poor student/photog wannabe. I am deeply grateful, I think.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn! I showed up too late for this thread. I had some good suggestions too. Oh well. Good luck with the Olympus, I'm sure it will suit you just fine.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm too late too but too bad, I'm replying anyway

24/2.8... they're all good
    28/2.8 ... the AI-S is by far the best... AF 28/2.8D is extremely good too if you can live with the looser focus ring
    35/2 AF, AF-D, AI or AI-S, all good
    50/1.8 AI-S with the coupling shoe is the one you want. The later, plasticky one is a rebranded Series E, which isn't bad but isn't in the same league. I use an AF-D 1.4 which is extremely good.
    85/1.8 AF or AF-D, wonderful on manual bodies... an AI-converted 85/1.8 is also good but harder to find
    105/2.5 you already have, a must-own lens
    200/4 AI-S if you want a longer telephoto

That should get you started

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good evening Lina,

Since you already have 24 mm covered, either a 35 mm or a 50 mm would be a good next choice. If you can afford one, the 35 mm f1.4 AIS is quite good. In the 50 mm choices, I find the old AI long barrel version f2.0 to be the best wide open. Of course, you can get an extra stop from an f1.4, but these don't generally perform as well. I went through four of the f1.4 50 mm lenses prior to finding a good example.

On the really expensive side of things are the 85 mm f1.4, and the rare 58 mm f1.2. Both of those are also heavy lenses, so they would unbalance your FM a bit.

Another item that will help with available light photography is the eyepiece rubber cup. This blocks out any side light between your eye and the viewfinder, which makes focusing in low light much easier.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got a lot of good advice. Let me add a couple of (late) comments

1) The OM1 is a good idea. I loved mine. I got a Nikon FE because I wanted to get something more like an OM1, but could use my Nikon glass.

2) The OM1 is definitely better than the OM10. However, your OM10 has lasted this long...

3) The suggestion about the E-series lenses by Gnashings was good. I have an E-series 100/f2.8 that I love. Best $50 I ever spent. Light too.

4) Galen Rowell was a big Nikon guy. His website (mountainlight photography) still has an article there about his "camera bag". Lots of good hints. Even though he was sponsored by Nikon, he didn't always recommend the newest, most expensive lenses. One he recommended was a zoom lens that is very good. As Jim Galli noted, some of these are surprising.

Looks like the Nikon hints are for posterity--someone later looking through the archives. But, it is still good advice.

I have to say, at camera shows I always look longingly at an OM1...Sorta like getting an Olds trumpet--first loves and all. Maybe someday.

Matt

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin