Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,859   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Good lenses for Nikon FM

I'm about to buy a Nikon FM. My first Nikon SLR. (Actually, my very first Nikon.) The camera comes with the 105/2.5 lens. Now, my question is: What other lenses should I look for? What are the classic manual focus Nikon lenses?

I want a wide angle, 24, 28 or 35mm, and a more normal lens, 50, 55 or 85. What are the ones I shouldn't miss? I don't do zooms.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There seems to be general consensus on the fact that the 50mm f/1.8 is an all-times greatest lens (I can confirm).

On the 28mm range, the f:2,8 is more expensive than others but it's great (has floating elements).

I would skip the 85mm, if you already have a 105mm.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Don't get a Nikkor 24mm f/2.0. Never got sharp images with it.

I'd get a Nikkor 28mm and a Nikkor 50mm. Sure you can get them cheap enough used.

You don't need the 28mm f/1.4. The 50 f/1.4 is worth having if you have a few extra dollars, but the 1.8 is excellent.

Some day down the road you can add a 20mm and a 200mm.

My two cents.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my experience, Nikon lenses of the same age deliver very good and consistent performance. The choice of a wide angle is very much a matter of taste, my first choice of a lens after a 50 mm (like the f1.4 best) is a 24 mm, then comes a 35 mm (both of mine are f2.8 - obviously bigger apertures are vital if you're doing really low-light work, but they cost a lot more). Depending on your budget, Tamron lenses (particularly the SP series) can be worth a look, performance very good and available on e-bay and elsewhere for very little.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd look at a 24 f2.8, a 35 f2(the f2.5 Series E is also good, better than the Nikkor 2.8 IMHO) and a 50mm f1.8 or f2.

My kit is currently the 100mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2.5 Series E's, and a Sigma 24mm f2.8 (Competent, but inferior to the Nikkor with CRC). I use these on an F3HP, FA, F601m and EM.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have 2 20X30" color enlargements on permanent display that were made with the most ordinary and common Nikon 35-70 f3.3-4.5 AF. The one that came with a lot of 6006's and 8008's. It's a great lens.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know you said you don't do zooms, but...

The 50-135mm f/3.5 is killer, as is the 25-50mm f/4.

For wides, I like the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8 (the AIs is better than the AI version). I don't use my 35mm f/2.8 very often, but it's not bad. I love my 17mm f/3.5 Tokina, even though it's not made by Nikon.

Going longer, the 50mm f/1.8 (not the "E") is excellent. Ditto the 85mm f/1.8 and 135mm f/2.8. My arsenal then jumps to a 200mm f/4 and the 300mm f/4.5 EDIF - all solid performers.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an opinion of course, but I always liked the 24/105 combo. Used the 24 most often though.
    If you opt for a 50 also And if you do a lot of available light the 1.4's a nice option.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Maybe I should add that I mainly do street photography and always in available light - that's why I value fast primes. However, a macro lens would also be interesting. I have to agree with John that 24/105 is a nice combination. But maybe I can afford something in between too.

I should in all honesty tell you what I use today. That is:
    1) A Rolleiflex 3.5 F (my main camera - I just love it)
    2) A Olympus OM-10 with 100/2.8 and 24/2.8 (these are easier to bring and sometimes better at street photography, and I tend to use these more and more)

Looking forward to more suggestions......

Love, Lina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bwlina
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Maybe I should add that I mainly do street photography and always in available light - that's why I value fast primes. However, a macro lens would also be interesting. I have to agree with John that 24/105 is a nice combination. But maybe I can afford something in between too.

I should in all honesty tell you what I use today. That is:
    1) A Rolleiflex 3.5 F (my main camera - I just love it)
    2) A Olympus OM-10 with 100/2.8 and 24/2.8 (these are easier to bring and sometimes better at street photography, and I tend to use these more and more)

Looking forward to more suggestions......

Love, Lina
    Hmm. Since you already have an OM-10, why abandon the Olympus OM system? I'm invested in Nikon, but the Nikon and OM systems are pretty well functionally equivalent; I doubt you'll gain anything significant by switching, and if you end up with two you'll lose.

You'd be as well off buying a 50 mm Oly lens and maybe a 200 as well -- those two plus a 24 and a 105 are most of my 35 mm kit -- and another OM body for a different emulsion. I don't know why, but many posters here and elsewhere mix 35 mm SLR systems; I just can't see it.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin