Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,683   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't done any "serious" research (tests with diferent developers, density readings etc) but my personal opinion would be to try the Delta 3200 film. It might give lower contrast as stated above, but the results may please you more in terms of shadow detail (especially if you rate it at EI1600) and grain. Give it a try and judge for yourself. I did a simple comparative test and that was what came out of it.

I repeat that my research was not really deep and thorough, so the results might be wrong... But keep in mind that the data given for the true (ISO) speed of those films are:

Neopan: ISO 800
    Delta and Tmax: ISO 1000

the 1600 and 3200 settings written on the film boxes are suggested EI settings that you may use (for push-processing). This was told to me by an Ilford technician.

Shooter
    35mm
    For well behaved grain, between Neopan 1600 and Delta 3200 pulled to 1600, the Neopan I think wins. For less contrast, it may very well be that the Delta wins, but not by a great deal. Try them both for sure, they're both outstanding products. I plan on buying both in bulk soon. Careful metering is a must for both. I don't develop my own either, by the way. I have also seen but not experienced first hand a fair amount of impressive, well behaved grain results from Ilford HP5 400 pushed to 1600. One of my next stops...

Shooter
    35mm
    I really like Neopan 1600. I burn it @ 1250. Great stuff. A little hot though. If it's a contrasty scene, you may want to go with Delta 3200.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neopan is nice, but dumped it for Delta 3200 because I wanted a film that comes in 120, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hmm lots of high regard for the Iilford film, might have to try out a roll before I go overseas and see how it goes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    "... I don't generally look at curves for film, and I forget that that's almost a pre-requisite to posting on apug..."
    LMAO! Yeah... it is like that a lot. (Chuckle.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would rate neopan 1600 ahead of ilford 3200 having used both for live music shots. I find there is lovely shadow detail which can be brought out in printing with neopan. I shoot around 800 iso. I always shoot manual at gigs with priorty on most appropriate shutter speed. With stage lights going on and off and performers in action, exposure is mostly "felt" rather than constantly measured. Mostly develop in xTol but recently tried Tetenal Ultrafin and also got some nice results with that.
    I have not looked at curves either but a wise and trusted teacher I know tells me it has "an intersting curve" and recommended it for shooting gigs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Neopan and use it regularly. One of the nicest fast films in 35mm for my low light work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Neopan 1600, is a really good film. I love the stuff. I usually burn it @ 1250, and have it souped in X-Tol. It is kind of hot (contrasty) more so than Delta 3200. Real nice film. Give it a try.

Kiron Kid

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried Neopan 1600 and Delta 3200 a year or two back, but went back to using Tri-X in Diafine @1600 for most high speed stuff. I didn't like the look of the grain of Delta, though I occasionally still shoot a roll (and always carry one when travelling to convince the airport guards to hand check). My objection to Neopan may be a bit peculiar. I find the base too thin, as the first roll I shot tore out of the cartridge at the end. The base actually tore. I didn't think my hands were that strong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin