Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,869   Online: 959

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Opions on Neopan 1600?

I'm thinking of taking my film camera along with me to the next gig I'm shooting and would be keen to try out something like this... any opinions on the Neopan ISO1600? It would be cool to get a few great film shots along with my usual digital work that I have to use.

FYI I'm pretty new to the film world, or more like, have just come back so my film experience at the mo is mainly with Astia...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    not related to the film you are testing, but if you are shooting concert picks, where there are "white" spotlights on the musicians on a dark stage, be careful about letting your camera pick the exposure. It will almost always compensate for the dark background and you'll end up with faces of (causcasian) performers totally overexposed. I learned this the hard way, and ruined some otherwise good pictures.

If you are in a similar circumstance, you could manually drop your exposure a stop or stop and a half, or, I guess you could lessen your development time to compensate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks for tip so far my experience with the EOS3 has shown it to have awesome metering but I'll keep that in mind, the singer I'm shooting is part Maori so she has slightly darker skin which will hopefully help!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there. I would have to recommend this film, if speed is what you are looking for. The Ilford 3200 film is pretty marvelous too. They are quite contrasty by nature, so careful metering is essential, but the Neopan's grain is so well behaved. If possible, do try to shoot at least one test roll before anything critical.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a full 1600 shadow's speed, with strong midtones and a low contrast highlights ( on stage that will emphasize your performer and harmonize the brights ) go with Xtol 1+2 for 10 - 12 minutes at 20?. That is Kodak' suggestion for using XTOL with that film, and I think it's pretty true.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would actually consider NP1600 to be _very_ contrasty and Delta 3200 to be rather low contrast. At 1600 you have a seriously gritty look with the Neopan. Shadow detail has almost vanished and it's a harsh, stark look. I've seen it mostly in XTOL. I have not shot or developed it myself (major caveat, I know).

The Delta 3200 at 1600, for instance, looks close to full speed with full shadow detail. At 3200 it is still a bit lower in contrast than the Neopan at 1600. I have shot Delta 3200 from 1600 to 6400, all souped in Microphen. Grain on the Delta 3200 is quite a bit higher than Neopan 1600, though - bit, popcorn grain.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kaiyen: look at the published curves for the three fast films. it explains the contrast and 'look' quite profoundly.

Also, visit the curves at Foto Import to see how different developers affect the response of the films.

Development isn't just the caveat, it is the fundamental interaction with the film.

Unless YOU are in control of the development of these films, you have no idea what will happen.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just offering up my personal experiences. I apologize that I didn't look at the curves first - I don't generally look at curves for film, and I forget that that's almost a pre-requisite to posting on apug :-). Guess that's why I don't post much.

I didn't mean that I shot it and had someone else develop it. I meant I hadn't shot it _or_ developed it before. The "caveat" was an acknowledgement that my opinion on the results one can get from NP1600 should be taken with a grain of salt.

Again, I was just offering up my opinions based on what I had seen from friends' work (and I do know how they shot and processed it (themselves) from observation and discussion) and from what I had done myself with Delta 3200. That's all.

My apologies if my information was in anyway confusing, detrimental, or misleading.

allan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all for opinions.. I dont develop my film either, I've no dark room!! Or the time at this point as I still have a day job. I'm trying a roll of Neopan 400 at the moment, just to see what it looks like, the film camera is only a second body to be used if I have the chance. I'll be shooting digital mostly as always with press type events.
    Well behaved grain is what I am looking for

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi there.

Don't know if I'm still on time to answer you or if this helps you:

http://galerias.escritacomluz.com/sandraf/mecanosphere

that's the link for a gig in a small bar/venue with very low ligh or only dark red light at times. I shot it with Neopan 1600 on my FM2 and a nikkor 50 1.4.
    I was very happy with the results... but i'm a rookie
    Sandra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin