Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,704   Online: 742

Shooter
    35mm

Schneider Wide Angle 28mm f/2.8 PC Super-Angulon Manual Focus SLR Lens for Nikon

Alright, I have to ask, finally. Has anyone used this lens, either you Canonites or Nikonians, since it's apparently made in either mount. Anyone at all? I've googled and come with almost nothing from no one. Surely it's the sickest lens ever fitted for the F mount right? My F6 quivers and moans every time it sees a picture of this formidable looking chunk of glass. Anyway, I'm just extremely curious and thought I'd check in...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=46340&is=USA

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have the Nikkor version of the 28mm PC. Very useful lens in the camera bag, especially when making panoramic images. Nice to fine tune the view with the PC control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one with Nikon and Leica mounts. It's the same lens with different flanges screwed on the back - extra flanges can be had from Schneider (non-Leica ones) or Leica. It's an OK lens. A little distortion at full 11 mm shift but that's no big deal. Usable hand-held. Dedicated hood and filters are a little pricy if you go for the B+W ones. Standard 67 mm filters and hood are no good if you use shift.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow. Only an OK lens? Surprising, I guess, given the price, and given it's intended application. Oh well...I'm looking for the strongest performers in the F system, and certainly something like this optic would be useful for some of my photographic interests (industrial architecture, environmental portraiture). The quest goes on...

Thanks for the input!

Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shawn,

I come from the North of England. My friends are trying to teach me to speak American English, but I'm not a fast learner. After four years I'm still failing Gushing 101. 'An OK lens' is quite a compliment from me, and means that the lens does exactly what it is supposed to do. The 80 mm Super-Symmar XL and 28 mm Leica Summicron-M are also OK lenses, for example. If you want a 28 mm shift lens then the PC-Super-Angulon is an excellent choice.

Extract from my English - American phrasebook:

"An OK lens" = "No flaws to speak of"

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Shawn,

I come from the North of England. My friends are trying to teach me to speak American English, but I'm not a fast learner. After four years I'm still failing Gushing 101. 'An OK lens' is quite a compliment from me, and means that the lens does exactly what it is supposed to do. The 80 mm Super-Symmar XL and 28 mm Leica Summicron-M are also OK lenses, for example. If you want a 28 mm shift lens then the PC-Super-Angulon is an excellent choice.

Best,
    Helen
    Helen,

Sounds like your "British understatement" was misunderstood. One way to "bridge the gap" would be to use a "rating system". For example, on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 the highest) where would you place the lens?

George

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Shawn,

Best,
    Helen
    which translates as "super!" or "fantastic!" ;-) or just possibly "great", though often people will answer "what, just great? thats it?" when you use that word...

Shooter
    35mm
    Hee! This is more fun than my inquiry. Yes, rating systems are always welcome, very satisfying. It's true, I was wondering if the Schneider was, optically, quite possibly one of the best 28mm lenses available to the F system (resolution, distortion, contrast, etc), in comparison with other Nikkors of same and/or similar focal lengths. Do you often prefer it over other comparable lenses as you are heading out to shoot? What do you find to be it's strengths? It's weaknesses? Under what circumstances would you say it excels?

Worth $2k USD?

All very subjective, I do understand.

I don't gush that much, do I? :]

Shooter
    35mm
    ps. Feel free to answer the above series of questions, or not. I mainly was fleshing out the intention of my original inquiry. And, again, thanks for the thoughts.

gushingly,

Shawn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin