Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a 35 mm SLR, when I do, because of the interchangeable lenses, compact camera, and internal metering. That combination means, for minimum kit, I need nothing that doesn't fit in the everready case (which has carriers for two film cans on the strap; that's over 100 exposures, total, in one package), and have an *excellent* normal lens. If I carry a second bag, I get my filters, wide and long lenses, cable release, macro tubes, and tele extenders. Add a tubular package, and my 400 mm is along as well. So, in a relatively compact package, I have quality lenses from "pretty wide" (28 mm) to "pretty darned long" (400 with 3x tele is about 24x over the 50 mm normal), lots of film, and a few tricks. And with the quality of the M42 lenses I own, I can make images on 35 mm that will stand enlargement to at least 11x14, if not a bit larger (really, a lot larger, since prints bigger than that are less vulnerable to the "print sniffers").

Yes, I'd often rather be shooting 4x5, but my Spotmatic and lens bag is the next best thing, and a lot more portable (not to mention hand holdable) -- and it'll compete favorably with my 6x9 cm folders, if grain isn't an issue.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My main reasons for shooting 35mm? I love the look of film, I love using film, I love cameras that don't need a hundredweight of batteries to power them, I love that I have something tangible when each roll is developed, I love that I can view the results without needing a pile of electronics. Digital is too fragile for me. With film I get a brand spanking new 'sensor' with every crank of the film wind.
    I spent last night making 12x16 prints from a couple of 35mm negatives. It was great fun. All needed to make larger prints than my usual 8x10 was bigger trays (£3 each for cat litter trays in a pet shop). How much would it have cost me to get a bigger printer to make bigger digital prints?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Keep in mind that the most imortant difference is in the yellow, there is no yellow in RGB, with out yellow you can not get a true representation of the world, you will never shoot a goot portrait, as skin is mostly yellow. It's as simple as that. If you have no yellow you are wasting your time.
    Another thing, If you go to any event where there are photographers, you will invariably hear the roar of digital cameras all firing at a cyclic rate just a little quicker than a Browning M2 machine gun, while over in the corner you will hear the slow but steady click of a true photographer sniping away with her TX or K1000, taking 10 good photos vs the 200+ deleteable images taken by the gunners.
    Cooki
    primis avrilis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cooki
    Green and red make yellow.

Shooter
    35mm
    many thanks to all for your wonderful replys i have had great fun reading them keep them coming !!!!
    cheers scott.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    film is better for all the reasons listed above. i like film. i like looking at it, processing it, loading it, winding it, and i love that 90% of my cameras do not use batteries! as a matter of fact recently my most used cameras do not even have a lens! so i am able to make photos with NO batteries, and no lens. lets see digital shooters do that.

eddie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE
    And finally, an imaging system whose sensors are removable, replaceable, updateable, by the user, and diverse in character is a stroke of genius as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Exactly Right.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't shoot Velvia, Provia, Sensia, Agfa, Efke, TriX, Adox, APHS, Tmax, Acros, Foma, Berger, Forte, FP4, FP5, Delta, Fotomika, Maco, Rollei, infrared, Plus X, Portra, 64T, Ektachrome, or Kodachrome and so on and so forth in a DSLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooki
    If you go to any event where there are photographers, you will invariably hear the roar of digital cameras all firing at a cyclic rate just a little quicker than a Browning M2 machine gun, while over in the corner you will hear the slow but steady click of a true photographer sniping away with her TX or K1000, taking 10 good photos vs the 200+ deleteable images taken by the gunners.
    Cooki
    primis avrilis
    I don't know about that, I am a wildlife and sports photographer, and when you get a bunch of us lined up at a bear jam in Yellowstone, fireing off our 35mm's, with high speed motordrives, we probably sound like a machine gun going off as well! And with the 1/12,000 top shutter speed I have in my 9xi's, with the right light, I can pretty much catch just about any action!

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    I can't shoot Velvia, Provia, Sensia, Agfa, Efke, TriX, Adox, APHS, Tmax, Acros, Foma, Berger, Forte, FP4, FP5, Delta, Fotomika, Maco, Rollei, infrared, Plus X, Portra, 64T, Ektachrome, or Kodachrome and so on and so forth in a DSLR.
    I see you started your list with Velvia ....

You got your priorities straight...
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin