Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,818   Online: 796

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you shoot in the first place? If you do it, like me, for your own pleasure - then the answer is right in your head (or heart). Which gives you more "smiles per mile"? Pick that one! In my case, its film - and I have a 35mm system because of its flexibility, adaptability, compact size (thus ability to go places where others may not). Besides, its also a matter of how good a picture can I afford to make: I don't want to start a pointless debate that has been beaten to death (digital vs film), but on my budget a 35mm camera far surpasses anything I could afford to make with a digital outfit. I am not speaking in absolutes - although I have my opinon on that too, and it favours film - but for the amount of money that I spent on my pro level 35mm slr system, I couldn't get a decent digital point&shoot.
    In the end I know, if I really wanted to, I would make the concessions and save the cash to get a decnt digital outfit, I am throwing that practicality/affrdability argument out there as a rational point, not one that would necessarily make up my mind if I wanted something bad enough - but see the first point I made: I like my way better

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "i would like everyone opinions as to why i should shoot 35mm (slr) film over a digicam (5.2mp..."

The only thing keeping 35mm color film around here is my XPAN and, then, only for slides. In fact, for color prints, where I would have used medium format film cameras before, now I only use digital. That would not be true, however, if I were limited to 5.2 mp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Cooki
    Green and red make yellow.
    When did this happen?
    When I mix green and red paint, I get brown paint.

My God. I'm going colour blind. I've been shooting too much black and white.

All this time I thought yellow was a primary colour.

I need help.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whew. Now I feel better. Thanks Andy. I guess I can keep shooting black and white.

Seriously, (and my odd sense of humour aside) I shoot very little colour film and have forgotten much of subtractive/additive colour theory.

As for 35mm, I shoot it because I like it. Same as med and large format. I like the small, mechanically marvellous machines I have that use 35mm film, from the Retinas to the Pentaxes, Mamiyas, Ricohs, Feds, etc. Of all the cameras I own, only my two Pentax ME supers need batteries to function.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why not shoot 135; 126; 120; 220; 127 and a host of other available formats. just why not. because we can!
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be more accurate the primary colours are NOT red, blue and yellow. The primary colours are actually Magenta, Cyan and Yellow. Just look at a colour enlarger head.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwesterman
    i would like everyone opinions as to why i should shoot 35mm (slr) film over a digicam (5.2mp with full manual features).
    as many opinions as possible please !!!!!
    thanks for the help scott.
    Because 35mm equipment can give fantastic results while being very light and easy to carry around. Because no digital camera gives teh results I want. Because I don't have my own MF equipment yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format

RVP50: The end is near.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Still shoot 35mm film, because the color palette is better, and IMO, Velvia is still sharper than even the best DSLR.
    Robert,
    Have you started stockpiling RVP 50? The end is near. I've already got some 120 and 4x5 stashed away in the freezer. 8x10 isn't cheap, nor as plentiful.
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    This is mostly about mixing paints. Photographers mix light, which is mentioned briefly with little explanation in the last paragraph.

Here's a more accurate and complete description of color mixing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_colour

There are two sets of primary colors:

additive primaries for mixing light - red, green, blue
    subtractive primaries for mixing reflective media - yellow, magenta, cyan

You can make a clean yellow with red and green light.

Not all color enlargers use subtractive filtration. Mine uses the Phillips PCS130 with RGB dichroic filters and three lamps with dimmers. Beseler also makes a 4x5 color head with additive filtration.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin