Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,628   Online: 1095

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Lee, I was going by an article on the Luminous Landscape.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, True Art is something that evolves from personal involvement on many levels, through touch, feel and something tangible. Film photography and the darkroom gives all that to me. Pixels to me gives as much feeling and tangibility as trying to reproduce sarcasm on the internet. This is something you'll have to decide, how much hands on you want with your own art and does it speak from your heart.

Kindest regards
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format

colors

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Andy,

I see. I was taking a more physical approach. I think you'll find that there are many different theoretical artistic approaches to color. My mom is a painter and was an art teacher, and I've talked with her about a number of approaches to color that I'd term something like "color systems". I also think that artists who work with paints/pigments take somewhat different approaches to color in different media (oils, acrylic, watercolor, etc). I think of these as being similar to different systems for exposing and developing film; zone system, btzs, etc. Most will work well if you understand them and use them properly. Just as with exposure systems, they are a means to understanding and establishing procedures, and do not guarantee "beautiful" results.

Well, I think we're well and truly off topic now. I just wanted to clarify some of the terminology being used in the color discussion, as a beginner could read it and be confused about the more standard terminology.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people spray paint a house and some people paint with a brush. Spray paint gets the job done with a quick and often thin paint job that often needs repainting in a year or two. Paint applied with a brush takes more time but the application is thicker and more attention is payed to the coverage and it lasts longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The difference between digital and film is not of such nature that requires technical arguments to convince someone.
    The choice is purely of intuitive nature.

As soon as someone starts trying to convince to shoot film because of resolution, dynamic range and stuff like that and you see that as your primary reason to shoot film, forget about it, the next generation of CCD's is going to have even more resolution, then the next evern more, in 10 years digital will be so advanced that it will leave any kind of film behind in dust. So sticking with film for technical reasons is a waste of time.

On the other hand, if you look at an image made on film, and you instantly see that film look that you know will never get with any kind of digital camera, if you like the grain, tha analog smoothness, the rugged, organic look of chemical photography, the poetry of the colors and tones, and you find yourself not caring about who has more megapixes and all that crap, then you will know film is the obvious choice for you.

In a nutshell:
    Digital is for people who want to make images as real as they can be. And real is often cold to the perception. Digital is pretty much what you see is what you get.
    Film is for those who want to make poetry out of what they see, who don't want to copy reality, but give it a special touch and texture of film.

Film is an old technology, too old to be trying to compete as high-tech imaging solution. The future of film is art.
    And you don't describe art in numbers

If you look at film images and know its the obvious choice, go for film,
    if you find yourself reading technical reviews about film vs. digital, go for digital

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unohuu
    Why not shoot 135; 126; 120; 220; 127 and a host of other available formats. just why not. because we can!
    Darn right. Which reminds me, I should get a really good 120 camera someday. My best 120 is an Argoflex EF.

As for the question at hand, I go for digital because it's cheaper. I don't have the time or capabilities (or skill) to make 8 x 10 enlargements so I send them to the lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot 35 mm if only because you have a hard copy. I shoot all formats and then scan my film for my hybrid process of printing and uploading to my blog. I think there is some value in having the initial hard copy for your files.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darr
    Shoot 35 mm if only because you have a hard copy. I shoot all formats and then scan my film for my hybrid process of printing and uploading to my blog. I think there is some value in having the initial hard copy for your files.
    Just some value?????

I find having hard copies of my work to be of very high value!

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    They are idiots. Why pay any attention to what they say?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    They are idiots. Why pay any attention to what they say?

Huh?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin