Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,111   Online: 967

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Huh?
    The Luminous Idiots website. Junk science for the most part, blatant bias.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry Robert, still not with you? Bias towards what?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Robert, still not with you? Bias towards what?
    Digital and anything having to do with digital.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh I see. I figured colour would be a neutral territory though.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh I see. I figured colour would be a neutral territory though.
    You are probably right, their bias and condescending tone turns me off from anything useful they might say.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Going back to the original post question in this thread, I thought of the old Kodak advertising from very long ago. They use to state "You take the pictures, we do the rest." So for 35 mm, you can indeed just take the pictures, and have a (hopefully good) lab do the rest for you. While you could take your digital camera memory card and drop it off with a lab, doing that could involve a little bit of worrying about your memory card.

Go to some professional forums, and you will hear of memory cards failing. They do develop errors and wear out. What would you do if you got the memory card back from the lab, and it on longer worked, or worse yet, you got the card back and some images (or all of them) could not be recovered. Of course, a lab (or one hour place) could screw up your film too, so using film is not a guarantee of avoiding problems.

Using digital capture usually involves you becoming the lab. You take your memory card, and process the images. Few people drop off memory cards in order to get prints made by a lab. So the reason of "why digital capture" would be that you want to spend your time behind the computer acting as the lab.

People also go deeply into film usage, developing their own film, and doing their own prints. In a way, those individuals are also becoming their own labs. This is a different level of involvement.

Why I still use 35 mm is that I want to maximize my creative time as the time I spend behind the camera. With digital capture, unless I want to pay an assistant to process my RAW files for me, my time involvement is much longer in post processing than in taking the shots.

Usage needs are a better reason than technical limitations. We don't normally use small cameras on a tripod, so the ultimate resolutions won't happen with either approach . . . use cameras hand held, and you will get less small details in your images than if you used a tripod. If you want prints, then any film can now allow that easily. Prints from digital capture can mean more time involvement. If you want to share images through e-mail, or over the internet, then digital capture will take less time than scanning your film.

Rather than why 35 mm, or why a (somewhat) low cost digital camera, you should be asking yourself: Why photography? The uses you want to accomplish with your images should dictate your choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    Rather than why 35 mm, or why a (somewhat) low cost digital camera, you should be asking yourself: Why photography? The uses you want to accomplish with your images should dictate your choices.
    Thanks - that is precisely what I wanted to say - you just did it better! I get so sidetracked sometimes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    We don't normally use small cameras on a tripod, so the ultimate resolutions won't happen with either approach . . . use cameras hand held,
    It is the rare image, that I take, even with my 35mm that it is NOT on a tripod, I learned a long time ago to maintain maximum sharpness, I have to shoot on a tripod..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    It is the rare image, that I take, even with my 35mm that it is NOT on a tripod, I learned a long time ago to maintain maximum sharpness, I have to shoot on a tripod..

Dave
    Good afternoon Dave,

I have also used 35 mm gear on a tripod, though that has not been my dominate usage. I find that if I am going to carry a tripod to a location, I usually just take along a large format camera, or sometimes medium format camera instead of 35 mm. Just a guess, but I would think there are more people using 35 mm cameras without a tripod most of the time; move upwards in formats, and I think the opposite becomes more true, especially with large format where I would imagine few do hand held imaging.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks again for all the replys i cant believe how many people have replied !
    going back to the question as to what i wish to do with my images,i like to take pictures of my family at home and on holiday and when i get a special image i wish to have it blown up for wall mounting.I also agree with the having negs for in the future is a big plus for film cameras in general e.g ive just come back from spain where i took my digicam(fujis5600)i took 204 pictures and since coming back i have printed only 20-30,if i had taken my 35mm i would have had 204 negs and prints and wouldnt have cost me anymore to have the films developed vs my digital prints from photobox !!!!!

many thanks again ,if anyone has any opinions please feel free to join in !

scott.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin