Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,510   Posts: 1,598,146   Online: 919

Page 1 of 32 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What was your FIRST 35mm and how old were you?

I enjoyed the thread on your latest 35mm slr purchase, so I thought this might be interesting.

What was your very first 35mm? How old were you?

The first 35mm I bought was a Mamiya Sekor 500tl. I think I was about 14. I cut a lot of lawns for that baby. I bought it from the neighbour across the street (who was doing colour at home in the 60's) who probably charged me about 1/4 of what it was worth. He also threw in a bulk loader and a roll of "old" film. He taught me a lot about photography and darkroom work. His name was Tom Barton. I built my first darkroom that year in my parent's basement out of cardboard from refrigerator cartons. It looked like hell, but it was light tight. I'm 52 now and enjoying photography more than I ever have.

I just bought (out of nostalgia) a Mamiya Sekor 1000dtl with a 50/1.4 on ebay. Everything works including the meter. I paid a whopping $15. God Bless Digital!

Moderator: I did a search for a similar thread to this one and didn't turn up any. If this is a repeat, just delete it.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first 35mm that I used was my father's Yashica Electro 35 GSN, and I was about 15. I bought a 35mm much later, and it was the Nikon F60. The GSN still runs fine after about 22+ years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am sure I used a point and shoot at the Knoxville World's Fair in 82, but the first SLR I used was my mothers X370 Minolta in my early 20's. I got my first SLR, Minolta XG-M in 96. Now I have 3 camera bodies (all XG-M's), 6 lenses (28FFL, (2)50's (FFL), 300 tele w/ ext tube, 28-70 zoom and 70-210 zoom), two teleconverters, motor winder (never used by me). And I have finally gotten all of the camera I could want in 35mm. i have a Mamiya m645 w/ 150mm. No LF yet.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a russian thing from Cambridge Camera, I think. I can't remember the name but it was a screw mount lens thing with metering from a selenium cell on the top of the camera. The lens was not auto, so either you composed in the dark or had to remember to stop down after composing, which I wasn't too good at. I think I was about 10 when I got this (31 years ago), but I am not sure. I can still remember the weird leather smell from the thing, however.

Shooter
    35mm
    My first 35 was an Agfa of some kind, with a fixed lens and chrome body. It had symbols for the focus and aperatures, instead of numbers, and a beautiful leather case. It was small but heavy. It felt very important and expensive at the age of 13. It was my grandfathers, but I used it. The first one I purchased was a Canon A-1 in high school. Collected a lot of great FD SC glass for it over the years, and used it right up until it all got stolen two years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was 22 and bought a Pentax K1000 to get ready for the baby photos I just knew I'd be taking with the birth of our first child. Prior to that .. had used a twin lens camera of some type that my parents owned.. wish I knew what happened to it.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ellen Marie[/FONT]
    SC

www.bellafiorephoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yashica J, when I was 12!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to be a party breaker, but :

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/16020-your-first-35mm-camera.html

Is the thread you were looking for!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace
    What was your very first 35mm? How old were you?
    A Zeiss Ikon "Ikonette" borrowed from my then brother-in-law. I was 16 or 17, but I had been taking pictures since I could remember with various 127 and 620 box cameras. I also started darkroom work about this time - hence the need for a "real" camera.

As soon as I could save enough lunch money, I bought a Sears TLS (Ricoh). Age 17. Still have it, but the shutter "bounces" and leaves an interesting piece of evidence on the negatives. It was a common problem with these cameras. I even had the shutter replaced and the new one developed the same problem. Oh well.

David
    Last edited by David Brown; 04-01-2006 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://silverdarkroom.net
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first 35mm camera was a Leica I(A), purchased in 1926 to celebrate my 90th birthday.

[SIZE=1]Hey, it is April 1st, afterall.[/SIZE]
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 32 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin