Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,875   Online: 902

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Suggestions for a manual SLR with spot metering

It is funny how we end up going full circle in life....I started with an OM-1 and "advanced" to an EOS system with auto-focus zoom lenses. Since then I've learned to love TLRs and 4x5 cameras for their simplicity and control. I've come to realize that, for me, 35mm is about low light, small and portable. This means fixed focal length lenses, no auto-focus and manual winding. Modern autofocus cameras miss the mark. There are quite a few that fit this description, but I'd really like one with spot metering. I use a spot meter with the LF and very rarely miss an exposure. This is not so true with my Canon with matrix or center weighted metering.

My only thought is a later OM body, but I suspect there are other possibilities. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can always use a Canon New F1, IIRC there was an option to use spot meter by changing the view screen. One of the options was 3% spot metering...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, there's the Canon T90, the New F1 Can get a spot meter via a focus screen change (but must change focus screens to get other options), the Contax RTS-III and IIRC the last couple Leica R mdels also offer spot meters.

It's one thing I definitely miss with my F3 and FA, but the centre-weighted metering on them is selective enough (80/20 and 75/25 respectively) that I can get by.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If low weight is the goal have a look at the Pentax MZ3 & MZ5n (ZX-5n). They both offer spot metering and you can turn the autofocus off. They're fully compatible with all of the k-mount lenses and M42 with the normal adapter. There is a conventional shutter speed dial on the top plate. Unfortunately the winder is built in.

Seriously, although they are slightly larger than the Pentax MX (about as small as a 35mm SLR gets) they are about 20% lighter. They work happily with the M-series manual focus lenses which were all built with compact size and weight in mind.

more details at http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz
    ... and IIRC the last couple Leica R mdels also offer spot meters.
    All Leica R models have spot metering as well as center-weighted averaging. The SL and SL-2 have spot metering. Only the original non-TTL metering Leicaflex did not have spot metering. Leica calls it selective metering, and it covers the central microprism and split image.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you still have your OM-1 with lenses, try the OM-4 which has a spot, hightlight and shadow metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    If you still have your OM-1 with lenses, try the OM-4 which has a spot, hightlight and shadow metering.
    The OM-3 is also a very nice body, has spot metering, and I believe will average a number of spot readings. However, it seems to go for a premium.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM2-S (or OM2-Sp) has a spot feature - in fact it is named for it.

Make sure you get one from someone who offers returns. Some of them have circuit board problems. If you get one of those, they are un-repairable.

I have had mine for years, and it's great.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which mount? Ricoh XR-X for K mount. Not much money. It does have a built in power winder so it's not totally manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OM3 - fully manual but has, and I quote from HERE "Center-weighted, average light measurement, switchable to spot measurement; spot measurement selective in three modes: multispot, highlight and shadow-based methods."
    They are, however rather pricey.

Hope this helps,
    Lachlan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin