Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,167   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

For the Pentax Spotmatic Experts out there

I have a Spotmatic F and I finally found a decent late screwmount 55 f1.8 SMC Takumar lens to go with it. I now have the automatic metering. Question of the evening. Is there auto shut off when I put the cap back on or is the meter on all the time?

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for the link to the nice scan, David! I got the Spottie F manual from Pentax and it's only a really high-contrast photocopy one that makes pics unreadeable.

Bill, short answer: no there is no shutdown switch on the F for the meter, you just have to put your lens cap on not to drain the battery. I've just started using one, and it's such a nice camera (and I got that sweet f1.4 SMC Takumar 50mm!).

If I may add a suggestion, get a 28mm f3.5 for wideangle and a 135mm f3.5 for short telephoto. Both are numerous and going for a piece of cake on the auction site. But don't bid on the one I'm watching!!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for this valuable bit of information. I am going to have to train myself to keep the lens cap on when between pictures or I will be relying on my Gossen Lunasix. I have a bunch of Super Takumar wide angles and a telephoto lens. I have 4 other screwmount bodies but the Spotmatic F was the one I had the knowledge gap on.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, I forgot to mention that the light meter is turned on automatically only for the SMC Tak lenses, because they have that extra pin for open aperture metering. If you use a normal M42 lens (like the Super Takumar), you'll have to use the stop-down lever on the camera (not on the lens) in order to flip on the meter.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uncle bill
    If it uses a similar ciccuit as the K1000 camera, There's a cell above the eyepiece that turns the meter on/off. When the light goes below a specific level the cell stops conducting & effectively the meter is turned off. Using the lens cap as a switch works well. You just need a pocket full of lens caps. Contact your local leprecaun.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    uncle bill
    If it uses a similar ciccuit as the K1000 camera, There's a cell above the eyepiece that turns the meter on/off. When the light goes below a specific level the cell stops conducting & effectively the meter is turned off. Using the lens cap as a switch works well. You just need a pocket full of lens caps. Contact your local leprecaun.
    I recently whinged about this in another thread and see it as rather "cheapskate" of Pentax not to have included a switch for another tuppence on the price of the SP-F and K1000. Pentax always maintained that the battery would still last a long time even without frequent replacing of the cap, but as an engineer I always hankered after a switch and thought about the poor old light meter if the cap was off and the camera dangling around my gut should end up by chance pointing at the sun!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    look for the manual here: www.pentax-manuals.com

I have little knowledge on the F but I htought it had the switch on the side.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    look for the manual here: www.pentax-manuals.com

I have little knowledge on the F but I htought it had the switch on the side.
    I'm told that you could switch it off my unscrewing the lens a quarter of a turn, but the possible consequences of that don't bear thinking about!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I will have a pocket full of 49mm lens caps. I am aware of the the extra pin the SMC lenses have to activate the meter, pity the powers at be with Pentax did not have an on/off switch or button like the Olympus OM-1. I will have to remember keep the cap on when I am not shooting.

Bill
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin