Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,998   Online: 1176

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Making a multiple exposure on a Canon AE-1 Program: possible?

I have a Canon AE-1 program, and have read the manual, however, I cannot find how to make multiple exposures on one frame without rewinding the film. Is this possible? Is there some hidden button I can't see?

Thank you : )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AE1P has no actual built in multiple exposure facility. You would have to move up to the A1 for that - a camera that is very much like an "advanced" AE1P (I believe the body is actually largely the same as would be suggested by the interchangeable motor drives, "sprots" grips, etc).
    You can fool the camera, though, by pressing the film rewind button and cocking the shutter - but I can't guarantee how precisely the film will remainin place. Theoretically, the shutter will cock, but the film transport, being disengaged, won't move the film.
    It may be worth a shot - or you may want to get an A1 - they are really quite a bargain given what you pay vs what you get. Some other FD mount cameras that have multiple exposure facilities are the EF, all the F1's (new, New and the original), the already mentioned A1, and the T90 (I think). I can't think of any others, but you would be unlikely to be unhappy with any of the above.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More than two exposures...? Write on the leader to register a "point-of-refrence" to a reference marker in the film path on/in the camera. Shoot the whole roll of the one subject. Rewind. Reload up to the reference spot. Shoot the second subject for the whole roll. Pray for a happy coincidence; or, borrow another camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clueless
    More than two exposures...? Write on the leader to register a "point-of-refrence" to a reference marker in the film path on/in the camera. Shoot the whole roll of the one subject. Rewind. Reload up to the reference spot. Shoot the second subject for the whole roll. Pray for a happy coincidence; or, borrow another camera.
    Especially with a manual rewind camera, I think you have a better chance of sucess with the film-rewind button method. I would suggest another camera as well - how about moving up to MF? My Lubitel does double exposures more often than not

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Definitely use the rewind button. First take up the slack with the rewind crank, then press the rewind button and advance the shutter as if you were winding to the next frame. Watch the rewind crank and see if it moves. Most older manual 35mm SLRs work this way.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have AE1 and it should work just like David said. I tried it a couple of times with good results. Only one thing to mention, if you do a big number of multiples on one frame, the film tend to move just a tiny bit, no matter how careful. But try it!

Metod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bit more detail on what worked with my Canon FTb bodies.

1)Tighten the rewind lever lightly just before the first exposure
    2)Make the first exposure
    3)Press and hold in the rewind button, then throw the advance lever full forward, but don't release yet
    4)Release the rewind button, then allow the advance lever to return to the normal position
    5)Make the second exposure and advance normally.

I got consistently well registered frames using this sequence.

On many bodies, any forward motion of the advance lever re-engages the anti-backlash mechanism, so if you don't hold the rewind button in, the film may start to advance as you cock the shutter with the advance lever, and you may get only partial overlap, and offset double exposures.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    On many bodies, any forward motion of the advance lever re-engages the anti-backlash mechanism, so if you don't hold the rewind button in, the film may start to advance as you cock the shutter with the advance lever, and you may get only partial overlap, and offset double exposures.

Lee
    A ha! That's what the culprit was! I noticed that on some cameras this worked better (more precise register) than on others, and this sounds exactly like the culprit - and the fix! Thanks, this is a small detail, but if you don't know about it, it can be very, very frustrating!
    Of course, since I needed to do this, I have got myself a New F1 - but I still have an AE1, and you just never know...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One more note. On many cameras, it takes some significant forward motion on the advance lever to re-engage the cog wheel to the right of the shutter, so you may still get overlapping with the frame following your double exposure. The FTb caught immediately, so this wasn't a problem. Test before you shoot "keepers". You might need to "waste" one frame after each double exposure with a lens cap on.

Lee

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin