Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,862   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Lenses for Nikon FG

I have a Nikon FG. What mount lenses fit this camera. This is an auto exposure but not auto focus camera from I guess the mid-1980s. And waht are some of the better Nikkor fixed focus and moderate zooms that would fit this camera?

Sandy

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera takes AI, AI-S, and AF lenses, except for the G series, which lack an aperture ring [stupid idea, that]. Earlier F mount lenses can be converted to AI by a reasonably competent repair shop. Non-AI'd F mount lenses can actually damage the lens mount by bending or breaking the aperture sensing tab. The only lenses that absolutely cannot be used on the FG are some of the superwides made for mirror lock-up. As for which to get, it really depends on what you are planning to shoot, but a good start in 35mm with any camera SLR is a 28 or 35, a 50, and a 135.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the FG will use all the AI and AIS and series E lenses as well as all the auto focus lenses except for the G series

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good afternoon Sandy,

The early autofocus zoom lenses from Nikon would work okay, but the manual focus feel of autofocus lenses is not very good. Sticking to the true manual focus lenses would be easier, and more accurate. There is a nice low priced zoom in the old 75 - 150 mm Series E lens from Nikon. My personal choice in lenses is no zoom lenses at all, only fixed focal lengths. I think a fast 50 mm f1.4 in AIS mount would solve most of your low light photography needs at a reasonable price. Basically, any Nikon lens listed as an AI or AIS mount would be a good choice, just going by the mount type. There are so many good choices on the used market that there is little need to buy new lenses, nor much need to go with third party companies.

If you want a great resource on your Nikon FG, check out this site:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...fg20/index.htm

You can also read about many lenses on this site. There are some excellent comments and articles, which should enable you to find lots of great inexpensive lenses. Enjoy your camera.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Nikon FG, my only current irritation with it is it doesn't have an aperture preview button which many of the later models offer. My way around it is to unlock the lens and twist it slightly looser until the aperture shuts down for preview.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy,

The Nikon FG was my first camera ever! It's a very handy, lightweight, and pretty reliable

I see your question as already been more then thoroughly answered in the posts above. Enjoy the FG!
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The autofocus lenses do have looser focus rings (usually; my one-touch AF 80-200/2.8 ED has a beautifully damped focus ring), but you should try them before you buy them. Autofocus lenses that I have used manually that work well: 20-35/2.8D, 17-35/2.8D ED, 28/2.8D, 50/1.8, 50/1.4D, 85/1.8, 80-200/2.8 ED. The primes are usually better than the zooms.

As for the lenses to buy, this depends on your budget, but here are some suggestions assuming that you're not able to spend money willy nilly:

24/2.8 any version
    28/2.8 AI-S or AF-D
    50/2 AI is dirt cheap and probably the best 50mm Nikkor
    85/1.8 AI-converted is great, but don't overlook the AF 85/1.8 if you can get one at a good price
    105/2.5 is the best Nikon portrait lens, as far as i'm concerned
    200/4 is also very good and very inexpensive

I'd suggest upgrading the body if you end up liking the Nikon system. The FG is very small and light but film camera bodies are ridiculously cheap now. ($149 for a Nikon F3 in BGN condition from KEH, for example.) Start another thread if you want specific advice

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim

I'd suggest upgrading the body if you end up liking the Nikon system. The FG is very small and light but film camera bodies are ridiculously cheap now. ($149 for a Nikon F3 in BGN condition from KEH, for example.) Start another thread if you want specific advice
    Thanks for your suggestions for lenses for the FG. I am not looking to upgrade since I am not a big 35mm user. The camera was a yard sale present given to me by my wife, and I want to use it to make her feel that the gift is appreciated. The camera came with a Series E 36-72mm zoom that appears very large for such a limited range so I am hoping to pick up a couple of small, inexpensive fixed focus length lenses to go with the small body.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krisbfunk
    I have a Nikon FG, my only current irritation with it is it doesn't have an aperture preview button which many of the later models offer. My way around it is to unlock the lens and twist it slightly looser until the aperture shuts down for preview.
    Well, you have to understand something very basic about the FG: it is what it is.
    It is a handy, compact, consumer SLR with a very accurate meter and the benefit of using all that wonderful Nikkor glass (as well as the truly not bad E-series "bargain" lenses from Nikon). An added bonus is that there are some "system" components for it, like a power winder (not really a motor drive as far as speed goes - but again, it is what it is), and auto flash exposure with the matching speedlite.
    It is NOT a pro body, its not even a semi-pro or "prosumer" like the FE and FM series of cameras. It won't survive a rainstorm, it can not be used as a blunt weapon or to drive nails, it does not have a DOF preview or a MLU feature largely because it was meant for people who have no need for those things and frankly...probably don't know what they are. It was meant to be a camera for those who found the full auto, and ONLY auto EM too limiting, but not much beyond that.
    Please don't take any of that as a knock on the camera - it is not a failure or a shortcoming to be exactly what it was designed to be. I have one, and frankly, I use it when I know I won't need the more advanced features. Mine came from a garage sale, cost me $5 CDN and had the basic Nikon flash and the 50mm 1.8 e-series lens. I have so far shot hundreds of frames of film with it, and it is still going strong. In many ways, its a Nikon equivalent of the Canon AE1, and other than the DOF preview... I think I may like the FG better.
    OK - that was off topic and on a tangent to your original question - I guess what I was trying to say, there are many awesome lenses available for the camera, and many very good ones as well. I have a couple of really bargain-bin off-brands for mine (a Makinon 24mm and a Soligor 80-200) along with the 50mm e-series, and it serves me well. I would suggest that given the cameras limitations as a more serious tool, you would be well served by combining it with a something like the pretty good Nikkor 35-70 zoom and you will have a very nice package for all those "grab" shots.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter, what limitations are you talking about? MLU, removable prism, and interchangeable screens aside it has the same functionality as an F. Anyone who can't take good pictures with an FG is incapable.

So you'll know, I have an FM2n, FG, and N8008S. The N8008S is sort of a replacement for the FG; all it adds to the FG's capabilities that's worth much is a higher flash sync speed, and that's why I got it.

Cheers,

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin