Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,615   Online: 861

Shooter
    Multi Format

Easter Bunny Loves Film Cameras

It was very exciting in our house on Easter Sunday, Easter Bunny left eggs that also contained a Care Bears kids 35mm film camera in the package. Easter Bunny didn't really leave any instructions about the film to use though and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help as my four year old is really excited about getting some film for her new camera.

The camera is for outdoor use only. It's hard plastic. On the back where it contains some visual images the film they are using has the DX symbol, however I can't see any circuitry on the camera that would read the DX coding on the film, I don't really have any experience with cameras with DX coding but am assuming there should be something in the camera that would register the speed of the film. There is no ability to choose the film speed or shutter speed on the camera and there is no flash. Would anyone be able to tell me if this camera would be DX compatible or if it has been designed for a specific film speed. Just not sure how the camera knows.

Regards

Kathy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's probably designed just for one speed... and probably just has one exposure setting. We recently got a toy camera that came with a roll of 400 speed color film. the outdoor shots worked out exposure-wise... but they were all, well... out of focus!!! I think the lens must have been made from the bottom of a coca-cola bottle

Not really worth the film/processing costs. We have had more success with a cheap polaroid camera for the kids.

Good luck!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Most of this type of camera that I have seen are setup for 400 speed film so I would start there, and if the results look too dark, change to 100 speed. Don't expect a lot of quality from the camera, but I think it will be worth processing. I know that Kodak made some one-use cameras that had actual glass lenses, but many disposable, or childrens cameras that I have seen have plastic lenses. Again, not the best but neither is my Holga and I like what it does. Have fun with it and it will encourage creatvitiy - something that is lacking in many people these days.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your responses, I'll give 400 a try. Not too worried about the quality, my daughter just gets a lot of fun out of pointing it at people and telling them to smile. She'll be happy at this stage with any image that comes out of it. She loves cameras and film so it is a great way to get her started.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Regards

Kathy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by katcall
    Thanks for your responses, I'll give 400 a try. Not too worried about the quality, my daughter just gets a lot of fun out of pointing it at people and telling them to smile. She'll be happy at this stage with any image that comes out of it. She loves cameras and film so it is a great way to get her started.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Regards

Kathy
    Although a bit higher in quality, during recent family gathering I gave my neice and nephew each one of my P&S's to "record" the event. They had a great time. Didn't even ask why there was no LCD display (thank goodness).

Afterwards I had the film developed. Several of the shots were quite good - my niece had the better "eye" - and their respective parental units reported that the kids were thrilled to get their prints.

In July we're doing one of those "family cruises". Guess I'll be bringing those P&S's along.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin