Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,112   Online: 909

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I picked up two Contax SLRs last year, and the one thing that struck me was how bright the viewfinder is. And that makes a big difference with some of the slower lenses. I had to replace the covering on both cameras, as well as the light seals. I've very pleased with the Zeiss glass.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a 139q along with the 135 f2.8 and 50 f1.4 Zeiss lenses. Both lenses are sharp, sharp, sharp. Unfortunately the camera's developed a problem where intermittently the shutter sticks open when I advance the film. I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, or even can be fixed. Does anyone have a suggestion for someone that works on these?
    It's a beautiful little camera that 'feels good' to hold and like someone else said, the viewfinder is very bright. It was a pleasure to use when it worked right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 167MT and it's a gem. The glass is lovely and I have never used an SLR with so little shutter and mirror shock. My only reservation is that it is a bit noisy, with its built in winder. I mostly use it for air photography where that is not an issue, but it is a bit obtrusive when I use it on the ground. I must say that I could also wish that it had a manual film wind as well as the motor. The batteries stop driving the film rather abruptly and way before they stop running the meter and shutter.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm currently using an RTS II and I had an RTS III. I've never had problems with the RTS II and I really like it. The RTS III is another story though. The camera was a pleasure to use, but it developed some annoying (expensive) problems.
    First, the viewfinder got dimmer and dimmer until the bottom could not be read. Later, the shutter started to stick at random. Apparently, the foam used to seal the shutter enclosing dissolved and the sticky stuff made to the shutter blades stick. I was able to clean the shutter blades and make the camera functional again, but in the end KEH had to replace the shutter. The next problem was worst. The back started to scratch the film and then one day the camera would not power on at all. KEH and Contax (Japan) failed to fix it, so I ended up selling the camera "for parts".
    No complain about the lenses. I have the 28, 35-70 and 80-200. They are all great!

To Nancy,
    Check with KEH, as far as I know they still work on Contax gear.

-G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own quite a selection of Contax gear (RTS II and III, AX, RX, S2, N1, G2). I love the way these cameras handle. I think the ergonomics of these Contaxes are second to none (of course this is only my opinion).

I still have a large Nikon gear (consisting of F4 and F5 plus a full range of primes, 15 - 400), but they mostly stay at home.

With regards to autofocus, I find that I (after many years WITH autofocus, and the Nikon autofocus is not bad, mind you!!) prefer to work mainly without - I mostly focus on the screen (hardly use the split-screen or microprisms). The Contaxes are particularly helpful there, as they have fantastically bright screens.

I own a range of prime lenses with the whole lot, and am extremely happy with them. In prefer them over the Nikon primes, but that - again - is my opinion and preference - the Nikons are outstanding, too. The Zeiss lenses feel better (although I bet the old Nikon AI lenses probably feel much much better than the new Nikon AF lenses), and I think that some of the Zeiss lenses just deliver this 'little bit more'.

I have had one problem once with the film advance on the S2 (6 years ago), but that was sorted quickly. I have my cameras regularly serviced here in the UK and sometimes in Germany - no problems so far, just sometimes you have to wait a bit.

My personal favourite? Without any doubt the RTS III, together with the 35/1.4 - it has everything I need in a camera, looks and feels phantastic, and is perfect for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I currently have the Contax RX -- very sturdy and reliable so far (I've had it for a number of years) The Aria -- a fine camera also very reliable. The S2 -- the film advance went after a year ( I purchased all my cameras used so I don't really know how much the S2 was used previously) I had it repaired and so far so good. Last year I purchased a beatup 139Q. This is also a great camera but two weeks ago the film advance went on it and it would cost more to repair than it was to purchase. My over all feeling is that Contax cameras (of which I have also owned at one point or another the RTS,137MD, & 167MT) are sturdy cameras.
    You can get the 50 1.4 or 1.7 fairly cheaply along with the 135. KEH has some good prices. I have a number of Zeiss lenses beginning with the 25 2.8 up to the 35-135 Zoom. I got all of these except for the 35 2.8 MM used. All are very fine lenses. These days you are taking a chance that the camera was not overly used or abused since there would likely be no more than a 3 month warranty if any warranty at all. I hear and have read that the RTS II is a solid, reliable camera with a very bright viewfinder. It was at one time the flagship camera for the Contax system until the much larger RTS III came out. I handled the AX years ago when it was still being sold in stores and I personally found it to be too fat for my hands. I guess it all depends on what kind of photography you are doing. I also wondered as was mentioned by someone else here about so many moving parts liable to go wrong. Once I held the RX it was love at first sight and feel. For me the RX is the greatest.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ONLY thing I don't like about the RX is the whiny-sounding shutter. I do like the custom functions, including the in-between frame data recording if you want, the rewind to leave the tongue out or not. It has to be one of the brightest finders I've ever seen on an SLR. While it doesn't have the vacuum film plane, it has the ceramic pressure plate, which reduces the possibilty of film scratching during transport to zero, and produces a more even pressure, resulting in a more evenly focused image across the entire negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for the suggestion of checking with KEH for repair. Their quote is about 3 times what I paid for the camera. LOL. They do have a bargain grade 139q though for the same price as their repair quote. I'm going to have to think long and hard. I already have more cameras than I need. (Or so I'm told).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might want to consider a Contax G1 or G2. Rangefinders are a little limiting, but the glass is stunning. Besides, the lenses are relatively cheap as they can't be used on DSLR's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a series of Leica R series cameras including an R4SP, R7, and an R8. If weight is not an issue, I use the R8. The camera has real heft to it, feels very solid, with tremendous capabilities and a brilliant finder which includes a tremendous amount of information. The R4SP and the R7 are smaller and lighter cameras with the R4SP being the smaller and lighter of the 2. If you want a smaller and still a rugged Leica these would also be something for consideration. The R4SP is only slightly larger than the M series Leicas, however it does lack through the TTL for flash. Leica is the only camera manufacturer to my knowledge to continue to service their camera for 20 to 50+ years out of production.

However the reason that most photographers buy Leica cameras is for their optics. Most of these lenses are stellar performers that are usually equal or superior to the professional series Canon and Nikon offerings. However, Leica designs their optics to perform wide open with little or no aberations and generally to have more even sharpness from center to edge than many of their competitiors. Additionally, Leica specs for their lenses are to be within 1/6 of a stop while their competitors are normally speced to 1/3 stop.

Their optics do tend to be a bit heavier because their helical focusing mounts rely on 2 self lubricating metals brass on aluminum. These are some of the best manual focusing lenses ever made made for 35mm. They are very precise in their focus with no backlash and a buttery smooth feeling. This kind of focusing action and is found in both the M and R (SLR) series cameras. No other 35mm lenses have the focusing feeling of Leicas.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin