Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,344   Online: 1180

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a 167MT new over 10 years ago and have found it robust and reliable though as I'm getting older I do find it rather heavy. In the UK a few dealers still have new Contax bodies on offer mainly the RTS111, the RX (the original model surprisingly) & the Aria. You see them advertised in Amateur Photographer magazine.

All the early models along with contemporary Yashicas suffer from the peeling leather problem but substitutes can be got cheaply from cameraleather in the US and from someone in Japan.

Secondhand Contaxes can be got quite reasonably on ebay, especially common are the RTS, the 137MD and 137MA. You pay more at a dealers but then you get a guarantee.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure what you shoot, but have you considered a medium format system? Hasselblads are affordable these days. And you get Zeiss glass on a 6x6 neg!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding
    Not sure what you shoot, but have you considered a medium format system? Hasselblads are affordable these days. And you get Zeiss glass on a 6x6 neg!

Currently I shoot with Nikon 35mm, also with Mamiya 645, (and Nikon DSLR's as well). I love my 645's, but I have had very little luck scanning them with my Epson 4870 Flatbed Scanner (the odd shape of 645 frames is not recognized by the software of my scanner). So, I have opted to stick with 35mm. I like my Nikons but I want that "extra edge" in terms of sharpness. Yes, my nikons are sharp (especially my 180mm 2.8, 80-200mm 2.8, 105mm 2.5, 85mm 1.8, etc) but I guess I am under the impression that Zeiss optics are sharper. After reading the replies on this thread (and I really thank everyone for their input), I wonder if I will be actually getting sharper results with a Zeiss or Leica vs. Nikon? I did look into Hassleblad and it could be an option, especially because my scanner recognizes square format frames. However, I have even less of a clue about the Hassleblad system and would not know where to start!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Zeiss lenses are largely pricey because they're known as a premium option for Canon shooters (film or digital). I use my RTS lenses on my Canons all the time. The finder in the RTS is still the best of the bunch though, and built solidly\. Just watch out when the shutter goes -- no parts!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Zeiss lenses are largely pricey because they're known as a premium option for Canon shooters (film or digital). I use my RTS lenses on my Canons all the time. The finder in the RTS is still the best of the bunch though, and built solidly\. Just watch out when the shutter goes -- no parts!
    I assume you mean for an original RTS I (not the later II or III). I know there are still parts in the hopper for the RTS III, and there are enough IIs out there to cannibalize for some time to come.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    Currently I shoot with Nikon 35mm, also with Mamiya 645, (and Nikon DSLR's as well). I love my 645's, but I have had very little luck scanning them with my Epson 4870 Flatbed Scanner (the odd shape of 645 frames is not recognized by the software of my scanner). So, I have opted to stick with 35mm. I like my Nikons but I want that "extra edge" in terms of sharpness. Yes, my nikons are sharp (especially my 180mm 2.8, 80-200mm 2.8, 105mm 2.5, 85mm 1.8, etc) but I guess I am under the impression that Zeiss optics are sharper. After reading the replies on this thread (and I really thank everyone for their input), I wonder if I will be actually getting sharper results with a Zeiss or Leica vs. Nikon? I did look into Hassleblad and it could be an option, especially because my scanner recognizes square format frames. However, I have even less of a clue about the Hassleblad system and would not know where to start!
    I shoot 645, too - Mamiya 645 and Bronica RF 645. It's a nice format, and you should be able to scan it on your Epson. Have you tried Silverfast or Vuescan? The software will cost less than another system.

I also understand how desirable Zeiss lenses are as I shot an old Contax IIIA for about 2 years. I also owned a Contax N1 several years back. But I sold it when Kyocera dropped the ball on the Contax ND. Besides, there were too few lens choices in the N-mount.

So maybe a new Zeiss ZF lens is just the right solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting Contax SLR's for many years (RTS II, RTS III, RX and 167MT). Love em.

I'm looking very seriously at the Z1 and at the new Zeiss SLR glass!

I bought my first Contax 35mm SLR based in part on the performance of the Zeiss glass on my Hassleblad.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin