Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,541   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Bag

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera Bag

At the moment I have a Billingham camera bag, the F4.5. I like the design, but it's just a little small. I'd like to fit an SLR, a wide zoom, a "vacation" zoom, a 50mm prime, a 20mm prime, a flash, and odds and ends in the bag. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good medium sized bag?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What type of bag? Messenger style? Reporter style? Sling?

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the large Roots photo backpack. It fits my RB67 with a 90 or 150 lens attached, and a 250 in the bottom. Also holds all my filters, light meter, a spare film back, 2 spots for film (8 rolls of 120 each), and a prism. Then I have all the extra pockets on the sides and the front.
    2 complaints. Does not hold my tripod, and the shoulder straps are limited in the adjustments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin Saitta, one of Apug's sponsors, makes camera bags to your specifications.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My current bag is about 13 inches long, 7 inches wide. an 7.5 inches tall. It has a canvas should strap. There's a top flap which closes with two leather straps. Inside there are four padded dividers. I like this bag a lot, although as I said, it's a little small, especially since I just ordered two moderately sized zooms. I doubt that a custom bag would be cost effective, especially since I could sew one myself, if I really wanted to. Or I could modify a tool bag that I have, which is much more rugged than any camera bag I've seen, and it cost 20 bucks. The only downside is that it doesn't have dividers inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Lowe Pro Rover AW.
    At this time it holds.
    F90X+ MB10 and FE2+MB12
    20mm, 50mm, 85mm(1,4 with hood atached) and 180mm.
    PK13 and TC201.
    SB28 in small bag that can be taken out and atached to waistbelt.
    Pentax 6X7 with 75mm f/4,5 atached.
    45mm.
    Set of extension tubes.
    Sekonic 308 Lightmeter.
    2 cable releases.
    Lens cleaning tissues and blowerbrush.
    Pencil and notebook.
    BUT NO ROOM FOR FILM
    Not recommended though because its to heavy for the harness tobe comfortable.
    I am not really satisfied with this back because its to soft and to short for my back.
    I am currently looking for a bigger backpack suitable for the heavier load I am carrying more often now.
    If you are carrying light and are not to tall (I'm 185cm) it may be worth a look.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like my Domke F-2. Fits two bodies, 3 lens and a flash no sweat, with room left over for film, filters, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Peter, if you like the quality of your Billingham bag you could look at some of the bigger bags in their range, I use a 335 in Cordura and find that after many years of constant use as a medium size bag for 35mm gear I find it ideal, it is very easy to "work out of " when it's over your shoulder when you're on the move because the mouth of the bag folds back and will stay open. I have five bags of various types and sizes, but this is the one I use the most.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had a Lowepro Nova 5 for about 6 years now. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. It is really configurable on the inside, so much that I can completely re-adapt it for whatever sort of shooting I am doing.

Right now, the inside is set up to hold a Canon A-1 with zoom, several prime lenses, my Yashicamat 124, a mess of Cokin A + P BW filters & holders, three Fidelity 4x5 holders, an additional lens/board for the Graflex, and film.

This still leaves the front pocket with meters and everything, as well as side pockets, top flap for cable releases, and a back pocket for reference literature, grey card, etcetera.

Sometimes I configure the velcro parts inside for two SLR's with a digital, all large format, or all medium format; this still leaves room for the flash, grip, and bounce. The price is right too...
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 04-28-2006 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: temporary insanity
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm a little leary of photo back packs, as they often seem to be overly expensive and poorly made. (For large format work, I strap a lightware case to a kelty backpacking frame.) In this case, though, I want to travel light, as this is going to be my "take everywhere" setup.

I do like my Billingham bag, and I'd get another if I could get one at a reasonable price. I bought my original one on super closeout. Even then it was pricey.

I'll certainly look into the various suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin