Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,164   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I don't have much experience with Exacta, Alpa or Miranda but in terms of a full professional system with interchangeable viewfinders, focusing screens, bellows, extension tubes, bulk film backs and a motor drive in a very rugged packet I think of Nikon as the first full system. I just stated to collect Miranda 35mms and I was very surprised in terms of the accessories that Miranda made.
    If you check out your copy of this month's B&W (UK) magazine there is a small article on a camera called the Wrayflex. The gist of the article is that in 1949 Wray took out patents for an interchangable lens SLR with a pentaprism, a motor drive and an instant return mirror - essentially a Nikon F 11 years before it appeared. When the Wrayflex appeared a few years later, owing to material shortages it had none of the three innovative features listed above. Within two decades the UK camera manufacturing industry was essentially dead. Draw your own conclusions.

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Oh, dear, the old not invented here, or perhaps invented before my time, syndrome.
    I agree that Nikon did not invent the motor drive, interchangeable viewfinder, TTL metering, focusing screens, instant return mirror, 250 exposure backs, but I feel that Nikon put a total packet together. When I bought my first F I had a rather complete Pentex outfit, and a Miranda with a critical focus finder with a bellows and several lens. The F replaced both (I kept the Pentex and still have the kit) cameras. Exacta, Miranda, Alpha, and Pentex all had parts of a total system but Nikon I think was the first with the total 35mm system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You let go a Leica M3????
    Well you can't go wrong with a Nikon F. I have both the early eyelevel prism and the later Ftn meter head and both are tanks. I dropped the later one by accident onto a concrete floor, the filter broke, so did the concrete, and the meter had to be fixed. The lens was fine and so was the rest of the camera. I have grown to like the Nikkor 50 f2; the 50 f1.4, 105 f2.5 and 35 f2.0 lenses are in my opinion, classics.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have both of these lenses.

That's a good deal on the 50mm. You might find a better lens, but not at that price. Regardless of whatever else is out there, it's still a very good lens, and does get a lot of respect.

The zoom is another story. It's probably the worse zoom Nikkor ever made. It will flare fast, and it's soft. It's good for older skin, where it's softness seems more a bonus.
    [COLOR=Blue]Jeff Bishop[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]It's all about light, and nothing else...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Website:[/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange]http://snurl.com/64xi[/COLOR]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin